In pursuit of our vision for growth, our DES team in The Canadian Prairies is actively seeking qualified and highly motivated professionals to join, develop, and represent our vibrant and successful team comprised of highly skilled individuals. Although the position will be based within Winnipeg, there will be opportunity for engagement on interesting, technically challenging, and high‑profile projects not only within our home region, but also across Canada, and abroad.
This posting is for a junior position, for which your focus will be to execute project work as assigned by senior and intermediate resources in delivery of geotechnical services for our internal and external clients. It is the firm belief of our team that engagement of our junior resources on meaningful, interesting, and technical projects with appropriate oversight is not only vital to their long‑term career development and the continued growth of our team, but also the duty of our organization to Engineering as a profession. In this role you will work closely in collaboration with intermediate and fellow junior resources to grow your current skillset and apply the theories studied over the course of your post-secondary education to real-world scenarios. Your work will be conducted under the direct supervision of senior personnel and will comprise a healthy mix of exposure to both office based design activities and field based construction management activities. Due to the remote nature associated with several of our project sites, travel in support of construction management activities should be anticipated.
We anticipate that the successful candidate will support project work in some or all of the following sectors: Linear Infrastructure (highways, railways, etc.), Mining, Industrial, and Energy (embankments, dams, and foundations for hydropower structures). Support on these projects will require participation in a wide range of activities covering geotechnical investigations, geotechnical/ geologic analysis, and numerical modeling.
The typical work undertake in support of our geotechnical and geological works in these sectors is expected to include the activities listed below. The successful candidate is not expected to be an expert in all areas that have been listed, but must have experience and an interest to grow their capability in a number of the following areas:
- 2D and 3D computational modeling including Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
- 2D drafting experience with the Autodesk suite (CAD, Civil 3D).
- Performing routine Civil and Geotechnical engineering design and calculations.
- Support field assignments including geotechnical site investigations and construction management.
- Data collection and input, and other tasks as assigned, to assist the engineering team in the delivery of Drawings and Reports for various Clients.
- Completing all tasks assigned with the highest regard for job safety, quality of work, and social responsibility.
As the successful candidate, you will be engaged for project works including, but not limited to, the following:
- Support geotechnical and geomechanics sturdies with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope.
- Participate in discussions related to scoping requirements for proposals and provide input engineering, operating, and capital cost estimates.
- Prepare the development of project procedures, standard specifications, design criteria, engineering calculations, and technical specifications for review by senior personnel.
- Perform geotechnical design works at both the conceptual and detailed design stages and in consideration to interdisciplinary constraints/ considerations.
- Provide office and field based geological and/or geotechnical services for projects.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with internal clients within other business sectors, contractors, and external clientele.
You must bring to the role:
- Must be working towards graduating in 2022, or recently graduated, with a Geotechnical Engineering, Geological Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or Civil Engineering degree.
- Registered as a Member-in-Training or ability to apply as a Member-in-Training within your region of practice upon graduation.
- An interest in the field of Geotechnical/ Geological Engineering, paired with the ability to learn quickly and enthusiasm to take on new challenges.
- Willingness and ability to travel to project sites on work assignments, including sites in remote regions.
- A high standard of communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
- Aptitude for critical and creative thinking and problem solving, and the courage to voice your thoughts.
- Ability to adapt to and embrace change.
- Excellent safety awareness.
The following are desirable but not essential:
- Excel academically while being actively involved in extra-curricular and/or volunteer activities at school or in the community
- Good understanding of engineering and business fundamentals as they apply to engineering problems and projects
- Preferred academic courses (i.e., Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering, Solid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Structural Analysis, Concrete and/or Steel Design, Structural Dynamics, Numerical Methods)
- Academic or work experience with Geotechnical Engineering software suites (such as: GeoStudio, Rocscience, Bentley, Leapfrog, etc.).
Why join us?
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally