The development of innovative technologies is an important part of Hatch’s history and legacy. Our experts over the years, beginning with our founder Gerry Hatch, have developed technologies that have become standard in industries around the world. Our Technologies team is focused on the commercialization and delivery of technologies across all three of Hatch’s sectors: Metals, Energy, Infrastructure. We’re a team of innovators and problem solvers who deliver custom and specialized engineering to deliver novel solutions and technologies.
In addition to developing new technologies and selecting and installing equipment in greenfield projects, we help our clients to get the most from their existing assets by providing field support, rebuild repairs, and retrofits. We also work with our clients to optimize their existing technologies to achieve the maximize benefit.
With over six decades of business and technical experience, we respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Join our team today and be a part of challenging the status quo and developing innovative solutions to make the world a better place.
Hatch is seeking Control, Automation and Electrical Junior Designers / Technologists to join our office in Vancouver, with interest in Instrumentation and Control engineering or Electrical and Power system engineering in our Project Delivery Group. Reporting to the Control, Automation & Electrical discipline lead Engineer, you will support projects globally working from our Vancouver office with opportunities in other Hatch offices and at project job sites.
What Will a Career at Hatch Offer You:
- Be given opportunities to contribute to complex projects in meaningful ways
- Gain project experience in Canada and around the world
- Collaborate with employees from different cultures around our global organization
- Work in an exciting environment where you can use your degree in your choice of traditional sectors or emerging and innovative industries
- Gain relevant experience and support in obtaining your professional designation
- Benefit from formal and informal mentorship from some of the leading minds and authorities in the industry
- Participate in local Professional Development Programs, Toastmasters, and more to develop your skills
- Join in charitable, social, and sports activities with other Hatch employees
We’re entrepreneurs with a technical soul. Our flat organizational structure creates an atmosphere of openness and participation. You’ll work on problems and be given opportunities in the office and on project sites that you have never had before.
- Coordinate design and work as a draftspersons in the preparation of contract drawings, record keeping and other statistical work
- Work independently and as part of a team to produce and maintain technical and engineering deliverables for a variety of projects
- In conjunction with engineering staff, prepare electrical deliverables including but not limited to:
- Design 2D Deliverables (single line diagrams, loop drawings, interconnection diagrams, instrument layouts, schematics)
- Develop and check 3D models in an integrated CAD (MicroStation as well as AutoCAD) environment
- Calculations (voltage drop, grounding, lighting, etc.)
- Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Engineering lists (load list, equipment list, cable and raceway schedules, material take-offs, instrument lists, loop drawings, termination schedules)
- Design and maintain Motor Control Circuit (MCC) configuration and control panel arrangements
- Assist in review and design of vendor package interfaces
- Develop design details to meet project specific and Hatch design criteria and standards
- Ensure coordination with designers and engineers of other disciplines
- There are opportunities in your career to prepare:
- Procurement packages (equipment specifications, technical bid evaluations, vendor data review)
- Power system modeling and design (ETAP, SKM, EasyPower, etc.),
- Program using PLC and/or DCS as per project requirements
- Become knowledgeable with electrical/Instrumentation design and their practical applications, regional codes and standards (CSA, NEC, IEC, etc.), various engineering design tools and applications, and Hatch’s quality procedures
- Work collaboratively in a multi-discipline environment to deliver the best solution for our clients
- Assist our senior engineers and designers with their responsibilities including but not limited to checking engineering deliverables, attending design reviews, quality reviews, and participating in site inspections and walkdowns
- Willing and able to travel to project sites (office and construction) including remote site locations
Education and Experience:
- Working towards graduating or a recent graduate with an electrical engineering technician or technologist diploma (Electrical or Instrumentation)
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD or MicroStation 2D and 3D.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Knowledge of electrical systems designs for industrial facilities.
- Dedicated team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Self-starter with the ability work both in a team environment and independently.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiar with the Canadian Electrical Code and ISA standards
Competencies (knowledge, skill, attributes):
- Ability to learn quickly and to take on new challenges
- Have demonstrated technical aptitude
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Shows critical and creative thinking and problem solving, and brings forward solutions for our clients' toughest challenges
- Adapts and embraces change
- Has a strong sense of health and safety