Looking to take the next step in career? Hatch’s Dynamic Earth Solutions (DES) group is seeking a highly motivated Hydrotechnical Engineer to join our engineering group in Niagara Falls, Ontario. The successful candidate will be a strong team player and is required to provide key role in executing and ensuring technical excellence in a wide variety of challenging projects. You will require a strong technical background in Civil Engineering Hydrology and Hydraulics and exceptional writing and interpersonal skills.
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Supporting studies and projects generally concentrated within the water resources and water management sectors as related to river engineering, dams and hydropower development with opportunities to participate in the infrastructure and mining/industrial sectors.
- Carrying out hydrotechnical engineering analyses and designs in collaboration with Civil and Geotechnical Engineers, including: design event estimation, river flow regime studies (including river ice engineering and geomorphological studies), dam designs, water conveyance (hydraulic structure) designs; and, energy dissipation and erosion protection.
- Contributing to the preparation of detailed technical reports, drawings, specifications and correspondence.
- Supporting due diligence assignments related to hydropower project financings and acquisitions.
- Contributing to the development of client relationships and business, and writing proposals.
You bring to the role:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with a specialization in Water Resources and/or Civil Engineering Hydrology and Hydraulics.
- 10+ years post-graduation Hydrotechnical Engineering experience, with a minimum of 5 years in Canada in a multidiscipline environment.
- Registered, or eligible to be registered, and licensed to practice as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario
- Project experience in a variety of Civil Engineering Hydrology and Hydraulics applications such as flood risk analysis, control and protection, hydropower development, water management planning, water resource assessments, and dam safety and rehabilitation. Experience with basic engineering and project layout development would be an asset.
- Assist in carrying out analyses and design processes required by the Canadian Dam Association Dam Safety Guidelines and the Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act Technical Bulletins.
- Team focused with excellent interpersonal skills and understanding of multidisciplinary projects.
- Client responsive; a history of successful business development would be an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Hands-on experience in specialized Hydrotechnical software and modeling tools (e.g. HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS) including GIS based applications. Computational Fluid Dynamics experience in Civil Engineering Hydraulics would be considered an asset.
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately.
- Previous consulting engineering experience.
- Post graduate education (M.Sc., M.Eng. or equivalent).
- Multilingual, particularly Spanish and French.
Why join us?
- Develop innovation partnerships
- Think locally, work globally
- Engage with people who make a difference
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.