Dynamic Earth Solutions (DES) specializes in site planning, spatial information and digital terrain modeling, surface and subsurface investigations, rock mechanics, underground structures, geotechnical laboratory services, flood forecasting and water resource management through our geotechnical, hydrotechnical, and civil site development expertise.
We understand that our client’s needs are changing rapidly, and we respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We are a global organization and strive to bring the best minds together to support our clients most difficult challenges.
We are currently seeking a talented Municipal Stormwater Management Engineer to become part of our expanding Hydrotechnical team in our Calgary Office. This is an intermediate position for which your focus will be supporting and executing challenging projects and ensuring technical excellence within the existing team.
- Developing conceptual, preliminary and detailed hydraulic and hydrologic design of linear infrastructure drainage networks, ditches, culverts, and stormwater ponds
- Design of erosion and scour protection related to urban and rural drainage infrastructure
- Stormwater drainage design using computer aid programs; experience with Civil 3D is a must
- Stormwater management modeling using computer programs, experience with PCSWMM, XPSWMM, SWMHYMO, HY-8, CulvertMaster as well as using GIS tools for analysis and presentation of concepts
- Preparing engineering analyses and designs in collaboration with other disciplines
- Preparing detailed technical reports, drawings, specifications and correspondence
- Aid in business development, writing proposals and presenting to clients
- Mentorship and development of junior engineers, designers and technicians
- Ability to coordinate with third party utility companies and participate in client meetings
- Delivering design drawings in accordance with design standards
- Co-ordinate with project managers and discipline engineers and ensure consistency in execution of project management activities to assure that client's work is completed on time, on budget and within the quality standards of the firm
- Participate in the preparation of material quantities and cost estimates
- Providing engineering support during construction
Qualifications and Experience:
- Essential experience/capabilities:
- 8 years+ of stormwater management design and engineering
- P.Eng. in one or more provinces
- Led or contributed to Area Drainage Studies, including municipal and industrial infrastructure
- PC SWMM or XP SWMM
- AutoCAD Civil3D capabilities
- ArcGIS capabilities (or QGIS) including surface analysis, hydrologic assessments, familiarity with assigning / converting coordinate systems, catchment delineation, etc.
- Writes clear, concise technical reports
- Able to work in a team environment, mentoring or supervising EITs and designers
- Working knowledge of Canadian water management standards and best practices
- Check/review of peer/consultant work
- Desirable experience/capabilities:
- Incorporation of water quality targets and implementation of oil-grit separators into design
- Familiarity with fish passage requirements and implementation into designs
- Incorporation of LIDs into stormwater designs
- Experience with incorporating climate change into design
- Experience with rail and roads infrastructure including culverts, bridge sized culverts, and bridge crossings
- Able to interpret and use survey data and support field surveys
- Experience with HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS
- MicroStation/InRoads/InRail capabilities
Why join us?
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally