Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Fire Life Safety/Tunnel Ventilation Engineer to join the Infrastructure group in our Tunnels team in either the Mississauga, Ontario or Vancouver, British Columbia location.
New infrastructure and revitalizing assets are a key part of growth for any economy. We work with our clients to imagine and build cities of the future through a constant commitment to innovation and cutting-edge technology.
Our knowledge of infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Mechanical engineering with an emphasis in the design development, design review and technical reporting of the underground infrastructure systems including fire ventilation and life safety systems of underground transit system, tunnels and underground stations.
- Supports the design and support of systems analyses for tunnel fires and personal safety.
- Prepare contract documents including drawings, specifications and calculations
- Preparation of technical reports in various phases of engineering, design development, design reports and technical analysis.
- Participating in meetings with different disciplines and the client.
- Assumes some project management tasks and responsibilities to track and forecast project performance, deliverable and schedule
- Performs design calculations and ensures plans are compliant with codes and standards
- Understanding of calculations to produce study plans, specifications and reports.
- Build good relationships with clients and maintain regular industry liaison.
- Develop your personal professional profile through publications in engineering journals;
- Design services during construction – submittal and RFI review
You bring to the role:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
- 5 + years of experience in Fire Life Safety/Tunnel Ventilation System design and fire protection design
- Familiarity with ventilation equipment specification, controls, and fire life safety codes and standards (NFPA, AMCA, ASHRAE) with emphasis on NFPA 130 and NFPA 502 preferred
- Working knowledge of Building Codes and NFPA standards
- Good verbal and written communication skills and knowledge of common office software
- Self-motivated and experienced in performing calculations and delivering quality work
- Demonstrated abilities to work within project timeframes and budget constraints
- Ability to travel to clients and job sites and be willing to attend meetings after regular business hours – some travel may be required.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Numerical modeling capabilities.
- To be able to work alone or in a team under a minimum of supervision.
- Be able to understand and achieve cost, quality, and timeline goals.
- Ability to maintain good business relations with the various parties involved in the process.
- Time management skills and good adaptation to change.
- Strong communication skills and ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships in complex and changing environments.
- Fundamental technical engineering knowledge and strong problem-solving skills
Why join us?
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally