Hatch is currently seeking a Junior Mechanical Designer for our team located in the Trail office in British Columbia. As a Junior Mechanical Designer you will be responsible for the production of mechanical layouts, models and drawings in accordance with project requirements under the supervision of the Lead Mechanical Designer. The Junior Mechanical Designer is required to apply specialized/advanced engineering principles at a conceptual level.
- Understand the owner/user requirements and the project mission.
- Assist in interpreting the plant PFDs, P&IDs, and plant battery limits and constraints.
- Prepare and manage contract drawings, record keeping and other statistical work.
- Prepare 3D equipment modeling and 3D design.
- Perform conceptual layout work.
- Check drawings prior to release.
- Develop design details.
- Perform the design and drafting of mechanical plant models using applicable standards, project technical specifications and enterprise or project procedures.
- Execute designs following the mechanical and layout design criteria developed specifically for the project as well as the defined regulations, codes, and standards.
- Apply the design criteria throughout the evolution of the design.
- Use vendor data, drawings and information to develop and verify the model.
- Create and maintain check sheets for all equipment as vendor data is received. Back model all changes as required.
- Ensure coordination with designers and engineers of other disciplines.
- Perform clash detection of models with other discipline models.
- Provide material quantity take offs for estimating purposes or inclusion into bulk commodity purchases and installation contracts.
- Generate 2D drawings from the 3D model as required by the project.
- In conjunction with engineering staff, prepare design concepts for both internal and client review.
- In conjunction with engineering staff, produce detailed engineering drawings and documentation for identified and approved concepts/projects.
- Participation in formal engineering review processes.
Qualifications and Experience
- Technology Diploma or equivalent (mechanical preferred)
- Ability to design in a 3D model environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to complete agreed upon tasks on schedule.
- Willingness to learn
- Good safety awareness
- Able to function in a structured corporate environment.
- Proficient in the use of MicroStation
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.
- Detailed design and modeling skills for the plant layout of mechanical equipment
- Knowledge of industry or regulatory standards, regulations and codes pertinent to the design and systems related to the project