The Structural Engineer will be part of an engineering team providing engineering services to large and small projects. The incumbent participates in a wide range of projects covering civil foundations and structural steel design. Activities include site investigation and civil/structural steel finite element modeling for both front end planning and the detailed engineering phase for multi-discipline projects.
The Structural Engineer is responsible for preparing engineering calculations, technical specifications, data sheets and reports. Lastly, in this role you will reports to the Lead Structural Engineer on a large project and to the Project Manager or Engineering Manager on a small project.
- Assist the Engineering Manager/Lead Structural Engineer with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule
- Work to ensure the implementation of safety and integrity principles in structural documentation
- Promote compliance with all relevant engineering standards and internal procedures for all design activities
- Maintain structural engineering work procedures, specifications and computer aided design programs
- Prepare engineering calculations
- Prepare technical specifications based on input received from other disciplines
- Prepare and contribute to technical memos and reports, within areas of expertise
- Provide input to engineering, operating and capital cost estimates
- Prepare and/or review project standard specifications and design criteria
- Participate in and contribute to design reviews
- Carry out assigned tasks within budget and schedule
- Stamp documents and drawings as required and if appropriately registered
- Manage small capital and maintenance projects
- Assist in defining project scope
- Perform site visit to various client site for review, inspection and assessment of existing structures
- Assist in preparing proposals
- Review and evaluate technical work prepared by junior engineers, intermediate engineers, designers, technicians and technologists
- Assist in the compilation and delivery of monthly engineering status reports.
Qualifications and Experience
- A recognized degree in civil/structural engineering from an accredited college or university
- Registration as a professional engineer. Alternatively, registration as a candidate professional engineer actively working towards professional registration or regional equivalent
- Minimum 8+ years project engineering experience
- Strong background in structural analysis software’s
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Ability to function with minimal supervision
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards
- Experience with Staad Pro or similar structural analysis software
- Awareness of Hatch Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) Policy and standards
- Ability to delegate tasks and effectively supervise others
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.