The Structural Engineer will be part of an engineering team providing engineering services to large and small Hydropower and heavy industrial projects. The incumbent provides technical leadership in the design of concrete and steel structures involving dam spillways, intake structures, powerhouses, hoist support structures and stability analyses of dams and related structures. Activities include site investigation, rehabilitation designs, and development of structural concepts for both front end planning and the detailed engineering phases for multi-discipline projects. The Structural Engineer is responsible for preparing engineering calculations, technical specifications, data sheets and reports. The Structural Engineer reports to the Lead Structural Engineer on a large project and to the Project Manager or Engineering Manager on a small project.
- Assist the Engineering Manager/Lead Structural Engineer with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule
- Work to ensure the implementation of safety and integrity principles in structural documentation
- Maintain structural engineering work procedures, specifications and computer aided design programs
- Prepare engineering calculations
- Prepare technical specifications for a variety of structural engineering tasks involving construction and/or rehabilitation of concrete and steel structures for hydroelectric generating stations, substations, and dams
- Prepare and contribute to technical memos and reports, within areas of expertise
- Provide input to engineering, operating and capital cost estimates
- Prepare and/or review project standard specifications and design criteria
- Perform dam safety reviews
- Stamp documents and drawings as required and if appropriately registered
- Manage small capital and maintenance projects
- Perform site visit to various client site for review, inspection and assessment of existing structures
- Assist in preparing proposals
Qualifications and Experience
- A recognized degree in civil/structural engineering from an accredited college or university
- A Master’s degree in structural engineering will be considered an asset
- Registration as a professional engineer. Alternatively, registration as a candidate professional engineer actively working towards professional registration or regional equivalent.
- 10+ years project engineering experience
- At least 8 years of relevant experience working on hydropower projects, involving the analysis and design features of hydropower projects, such as:
- Stability analyses of dams and other related structures
- The analysis and design of hoist supporting structures and hoist towers
- Seismic analysis of structural steel hoist tower structures, and concrete dam structures, involving Response Spectrum and Time History Analyses
- Design of powerhouse structures, involving turbine foundations, substructure and superstructure
- Design of penstocks (buried penstocks, above ground penstocks and liners)
- Design of gate structures including Vertical gates, Radial gates, Bulkheads, Stoplogs etc.
- Balance of Plant design for hydroelectric facilities including design of concrete and steel structures, platforms, cranes and monorails etc.
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards
- Experience with MathCad, Staad Pro, SAP 2000 or similar structural analysis software
- Sound knowledge of 3D data-centric design systems
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects