With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
We are seeking an Environmental Engineer or Scientist to join our team of talented environmental professionals in Hatch’s Environmental Services Group, reporting to our Sudbury office. Our Group works to provide solutions to our client’s environmental and social challenges either as a standalone service or in collaboration with other service areas within Hatch. The successful applicant will support the team in a diverse range of services across Hatch’s infrastructure, energy and mining sectors.
- Environment Lead for multidisciplinary projects with responsibilities that include reviewing contract documents for deliverables; reviewing specifications and submittals; preparing environmental permit and approval applications; reviewing contractor submissions for completion; conducting technical reviews and coordinating with other technical support staff as needed.
- Lead the preparation of technical reports including tender packages, technical specifications and contract drawings and cost estimates.
- Lead or provide input to obtaining permits and approvals such as Environmental Compliance Approvals (Air and Noise, water and waste management) and approvals related to the natural environment (e.g., Environmental Protection Act, Fisheries Act, Impact Assessment Act);
- Contribute to or manage baseline environmental studies, environmental assessments, environmental management strategies, and plans including research, report writing, field work, and stakeholder and regulatory consultation;
- Collect and synthesize scientific literature, existing data sets and secondary source material for technical reports;
- Identify potential environmental impacts as a result of land use changes and recommend suitable mitigation strategies to avoid and/or reduce potential impacts;
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of existing and emerging regulatory requirements, wildlife and vegetation assessment methodologies, and best practices;
- Coordinate work with other environmental specialists (i.e. noise, air, archaeology, built heritage, fisheries, terrestrial ecologists, etc.).
- Deliver high-quality environmental services to agreed budgets and deadlines;
- Respond to requests for proposals and develop strong client relationships.
- Coordinate, manage and build business relationships with clients, regulators, service providers (e.g., laboratories, sub-contractor) and third-party stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Biology, Environmental Planning, Geography, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, or equivalent in related discipline;
- Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) designation in Ontario an asset.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Solid understanding of provincial and federal environmental regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of or experience with technical modeling (e.g., air quality) an asset.
- Knowledge of or experience with environmental assessment processes (e.g., Municipal Class EA) an asset.
- Experience with environmental assessment or permitting follow-up and monitoring (e.g., construction environmental monitoring) an asset.
- Experience in the application of natural heritage policies, protocols and environmental legislation;
- Knowledge of environmental and social due diligence an asset;
- Ability to read and provide environmental notes on engineering drawings and maps.
- Background in environmental analysis.
- Strong understanding of construction activities.
- Flexibility to travel periodically.
- Previous consulting experience an asset.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.