As the mining and metals industries face new challenges, our focus is on innovation. Join us in helping our clients create measurable improvements to their operations throughout the entire mining lifecycle value chain.
Title: Pyrometallurgy EIT - Mississauga
The Hatch Metals & Mining group is seeking a Pyrometallurgy EIT with interest in Process Engineering. Reporting to the Global Director Pyrometallurgy, you will support projects globally based out of our Mississauga Head Office location. Bachelor, Master and PhD candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.
What Will a Career at Hatch Offer You:
- Be given opportunities to contribute to complex projects around the world in meaningful ways
- Work on problems and gain experience in the office and on project sites
- Collaborate with diverse teams locally and globally
- Work in an exciting environment where you can apply your academic learning on a daily basis
- Gain relevant experience and support in obtaining your professional designation
- Benefit from formal and informal mentorship from some of the leading minds and authorities in the industry
- Participate in local Professional Development Programs, Sustainability Week, Toastmasters, and more to develop your skills
- Join in charitable, social, and sports activities with other Hatch employees
We’re entrepreneurs with a technical soul. Our flat organizational structure creates an atmosphere of openness and participation. We build practical solutions that are safe, innovative, and sustainable. Our ultimate goal is to achieve no harm for our people, our clients, and our communities.
- Applying problem solving skills to complete project work
- Work in a multi-disciplinary engineering team environment, with focus on assisting the process team
- Assist with wide range of metals projects, including critical metals for battery manufacturing
- Assist with metal industry decarbonization projects to apply new technologies and approaches to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Assist with developing process control, simulation, automation, prediction and operation models, with emphases on big-data and machine learning
- Assist with interpretation of simulation and field data as well as developing test work programs
- Assist with preparation of engineering documents and calculations, such as mass and energy balances, design criteria, engineering reports, process facility layout, hazard studies, cost estimation, etc.
- Assist with project management within the scope, schedule, and budget provided by the process engineers and project managers
- Assist with analysis of on-site data and reporting
Education and Experience:
- Must be working towards graduating in 2022, or recently graduated, with an undergraduate or graduate Discipline(s) Engineering degree with a Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or Chemical Engineering specialization.
- Strong academic record (top quintile).
- Ability to evaluate ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgical processes by applying concepts of high-temperature chemistry, heat and mass transfer, kinetics and thermodynamics to assist in the modeling and design of process plants.
- Ability to program in popular languages for data processing and/or to develop numerical models for metallurgical processes.
- Ability to effectively utilize written and oral communication skills to describe, depict and explain their work to team members and clients.
- Must have proven skills with MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Competencies (knowledge, skill, attributes):
- Good understanding of engineering and business fundamentals as they apply to engineering problems and projects
- Ability to learn quickly and to take on new challenges
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Shows critical and creative thinking and problem solving, and brings forward solutions for our clients' toughest challenges
- Adapts and embraces change
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Extractive / Process Metallurgy
- Thermodynamics and High Temperature Thermochemistry
- Popular Programming Languages (e.g., Python, MatLab, C++, VBA)
To be considered, please use your school email address when applying. If you have applied to a role with Hatch in the past, please ensure your school email is your current email in our system.
For more information on our graduate recruiting process visit hatch.com/students.
To be considered you must submit a Resume, Transcript (official or unofficial) and a cover letter.