This is a senior Technical Leadership position within the eGRID unit of the Power business division of Hatch. The position consisting in the coordination/development of the power system engineering team, business development/client account management, and leading and/or performing planning/feasibility studies, interconnection studies, transient studies and systems analysis investigations for clients in North America primarily, but also globally. You will also work closely with other eGRID departments, including the HVDC/FACTS, T&D and the Renewables teams, as well as with other Hatch divisions (e.g. Port, Rail, Mining, etc.), on related power system studies and power sector master plans.
You are familiar and experienced with key North American Market Operators (i.e. MISO, PJM, NE-ISO, NY-ISO, ERCOT, SSP, AESO, IESO) policies, guidelines, regulations, rules, requirements and criteria as applicable to grid interconnection, performance and planning, especially related to bulk power systems.
Possible home office locations for this position are Winnipeg (MB), Montreal (QC), Mississauga (ON), Amherst (NY).
Roles and responsibilities for this position include:
- Manage and grow a team of power system engineers of various experience levels and see to their continuous technical development
- Lead/oversee the continuous development of enhanced power system planning & studies processes, methodologies and tools for quality and efficiencies
- Business development to generate leads, secure MSA, prepare proposals, and win work
- Perform or coordinate power systems analysis activities including load-flow, short-circuit, transient stability, electromagnetic transient, small-signal stability analysis, reliability analysis etc.
- Prepare functional specifications for facility requirements related to different system development portfolios, for purposes of developing preliminary designs and obtaining estimates for the associated facilities
- Perform, coordinate or review planning/system performance studies and transient studies for compliance with prevailing standards and criteria and good engineering practice
- Prepare, report, and deliver presentations to clients
- Project Management
- Undertake thought leadership activities (e.g. speaker at conference, panelist, technical articles, whitepapers, etc.) and promote Hatch’s know-how in the Power and T&D sector in the region
- Maintain close coordination with other relevant Hatch Business Units and Practices for cross selling and cross staffing opportunities.
Qualifications for the positions include:
- A post-graduate degree in Electrical Engineering; preference will be given to candidates with Ph.D. degree in Power Systems
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in power system analysis and planning
- Proficient with the PSS®E software package, including all modules for load-flow, short-circuit and transient stability analysis. Experience with alternative planning software applications, including TARA, PSLF, DigSILENT, or DSA Tools, is highly desirable
- Proficient in PSCAD simulations with a particular focus on the detailed modeling of renewable power sources and carrying out AC and HVDC studies
- Ability to coordinate a team, and develop/mentor new/grad and young professionals
- Proven track record in securing work and customer accounts
- Registration with relevant applicable engineering associations.