Our Technologies team commercializes and delivers technologies across all three of Hatch's sectors: Metals, Energy, Infrastructure. We're a team of innovators and problem solvers who deliver custom and specialized engineering to deliver novel solutions and technologies.
The Hatch Technologies Group is looking for a Refractory Engineer to join the team. Reporting to the Projects and Engineering Team Lead you will support projects globally based out of our Mississauga location.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Primary responsibility for providing technical leadership on projects with respect to the refractory design for pyrometallurgical vessels. This includes responsibility for material selection, bricking arrangements, thermal and mechanical analysis, specifications, vendor selection, quality assurance during fabrication and installation as well as forensic analysis and troubleshooting of existing refractory linings.
- Define and contribute to project(s) scope, costs and benefits, schedule and implementation strategy.
- Technically manage the Project Team consisting of a mix of internal resources, consultants, and contractors.
- Review and approve drawings; oversee others responsible for update and creation of the drawings.
- Conduct refractory inspections at the supplier prior to them being delivered to the plant.
- On-site project supervision during the construction and installation phases of the project
- Conduct Project Review Meetings with Project Team
- Assist leadership team through review of the relevant sections of proposals for key projects.
- Identify and manage technology improvement projects, including approved R&D projects.
- Identify patentable technology and assist with patent applications.
- Assist with marketing of technology, including writing technical papers and participation in relevant industry meetings, workshops and conferences.
- Vendor pre-qualification and Vendor relationship management.
You bring to the role:
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering (preferably with a strong focus on material science or ceramics)
- A minimum of 10 years practical experience in production and use of refractory materials in pyrometallurgical applications with excellent working knowledge of pyrometallurgical vessel design, operation and maintenance.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (both oral and written) are required due to frequent interaction with management, technical personnel, manufacturing personnel, vendors and contractors.
- Strong organizational skills are required to meet multiple task targets. · This individual should have leadership skills to manage contractors, control budgets, and maintain scheduled commitments
- Good working knowledge of technical aspects of furnace design in closely related areas (e.g. Refractory Lead must understand the impacts of, and on, the furnace structural containment).
- Good knowledge of project execution methodologies
- Ability to support and manage designers and/or engineers
- Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions
- Good working knowledge of relevant design practices, codes and standards
- Strong customer/client focus