Hatch is seeking an experienced Communications Engineer to join our Rail Systems group located in our Vancouver, BC, Calgary or Edmonton, AB office.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for:
- Comms Systems Design according to the project requirements (Data network, CCTV, PA, Telephony, Access Control, SCADA, Wi-Fi etc.);
- Networking design;
- Structured cabling and conduit design;
- Communications Rooms sizing, layouts and elevations, equipment arrangements, rack and cabinet layouts;
- Creating and responding to RFIs, Change Requests and similar documentation;
- Technical Specifications Writing;
- Coordination with other disciplines in the complex multidisciplinary projects.
What do you bring to the role:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or equivalent
- BICSI RCDD certification, P. Eng., or EIT licensure an asset
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the application of current communication infrastructure and technologies, as well as knowledge and experience in the following:
- NEC, NFPA, and BICSI standards and regulations
- Design of detailed fiber-based infrastructure plans including control and data centers
- Design of SCADA networks for utilities and transit
- Design, implementation, administration and optimization of enterprise network management systems and monitoring utilities such as HP Open View, WhatsUp Gold, Nagios, SolarWinds or equivalent
- Network throughput, latency, and reliability design and calculations
- Design and implementation of disaster recovery plans and disaster recovery quality assurance tests for the network infrastructure to ensure business continuity
- Design of CCTV systems using simulation software
- Design of wireless voice and data systems
- Design of Public Address systems for stations and buildings
- Developing requirements for appropriate security controls to safeguard network access and other vital electronic infrastructure
- Ethernet core protocols and common extensions
- Candidates with certifications, knowledge and experience with Cisco products/technologies are preferred. Experience with the Ontario transit/transportation industry is a considerable advantage.
- Experience with Communication Systems Design for Infrastructure Projects: LRTs, Rail Corridors and Yards, Office Buildings, Tunnels, Water/Wastewater Plants, and associated Comms Rooms/Data Centers;
- Active Knowledge of Fiber Optic network design;
- Creation and Review of all technical deliverables: Technical Drawings, Equipment Plans and Layouts, Bill of Materials, Design documents, Network Planning Documents, Installation and Test Procedures;
- Knowledge of Server virtualization technologies (VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V etc.);
- Knowledge of Network Equipment L2/L3 Configurations and Testing;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the Design and Engineering of control systems involving PLC's, Instrumentation, SCADA systems & Networks;
- Knowledge of PLC and HMI software (GE, AB, Siemens, Schneider, etc.).