With over 1000 MW of renewable power experience and over 100 MWh of energy storage projects currently under management Hatch is leading the energy transition in Canada. The global energy transition is upon us. Join our team of engineers and technical specialists to support utilities, governments and industry in the transition to a low carbon world. While the market is challenging, these challenges present the biggest opportunities and catalysts for change.
Hatch is expanding activities in the Hybrid Power & Renewable Energy sector advising clients on the impacts of integrating intermittent renewable generation with energy storage systems. The increased deployment of distributed energy resources (DERs) has provided additional complexities and challenges for utilities as they transition from a monodirectional model of providing electricity to a complex, digital, data intensive, prosumer driven, decentralized model. The successful candidate for this position will work on projects across North America and internationally related to the integration of renewable power into both remote locations and the bulk power grid. The candidate will work closely with electrical, chemical, mechanical and civil engineers to deliver renewable energy and energy storage projects from concept through to commissioning.
Energy Storage & Renewable Power Engineer
Responsibilities may include:
- Contributing to and managing technical scopes of work associated with the specification, design, procurement and construction of energy storage, renewable energy and microgrid projects
- Leading, coordinating, and performing techno-economic analysis and studies related to the integration of renewable energy technologies and energy storage
- Adding value to client’s businesses, create business relationships, prepare proposals and support business development
- Providing thought leadership to the industry through engagement in professional activities in the region
- Working alongside and supporting delivery of projects from other Hatch service offerings including those from Hatch’s Digital, Advisory, Technology, and/or Infrastructure businesses
- Occasional domestic and international travel to site locations is required.
Education & Experience:
- A degree in Electrical, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering (post-graduate degrees in engineering and/or business are an asset)
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in energy storage
- Previous experience in wind energy, solar energy, microgrid power systems and power electronics are assets
- Ability to develop energy dispatch models for energy storage and renewable power systems
- 2+ years of experience specifically working within the renewable energy or energy storage industry
- Construction experience is an asset
- Professional Engineer status or on track to obtain P.Eng. status (EIT)
- Proven track record in developing strong and lasting relationships with clients is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and client engagement skills
- Ability to work within focused and multi-disciplinary teams and experience in leading teams and projects
- Familiarity with policies, standards, guidelines, rules and regulations as applicable to North American energy markets as well as other jurisdictions will be an added advantage.
- Software Tools familiarity with the following, or comparable:
- System Modeling such as PVsyst, WAsP, Homer, and PSCAD
- Programming such as MATLAB, Python and VBA
- Proficiency in Microsoft excel