The Structural Engineer will be part of an engineering team providing engineering services to large and small projects. The Structural Engineer participates in a wide range of projects covering structural foundations and structural steel design. Activities include site investigations, rehabilitation designs, and development of new structural support concepts for both front end planning and the detailed engineering phase for multi-discipline projects.
The Structural Engineer is responsible for preparing engineering calculations, engineering input into drawing production, technical specifications, data sheets and reports.
The Structural Engineer reports to the Lead Structural Engineer on a large project and to the Project Manager or Engineering Manager on a small project.
- Assist the Engineering Manager/Lead Structural Engineer with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule
- Work to ensure the implementation of safety and integrity principles in structural documentation
- Promote compliance with all relevant engineering standards and internal procedures for all design activities
- Maintain structural engineering work procedures, specifications and computer aided design programs
- Prepare engineering calculations of both new structures and modifications to existing structures.
- Prepare technical specifications based on input received from other disciplines
- Prepare and contribute to technical memos and reports, within areas of expertise
- Provide input to engineering, operating and capital cost estimates
- Prepare and/or review project standard specifications and design criteria
- Participate in and contribute to design reviews
- Carry out assigned tasks within budget and schedule
- Stamp documents and drawings as required and if appropriately registered
- Manage small capital and maintenance projects
- Assist in defining project scope and preparing proposals
- Review and evaluate technical work prepared by junior engineers, intermediate engineers, designers, technicians and technologists
- Perform site visit to various client site for review, inspection and assessment of existing structures.
- Assist in the compilation and delivery of monthly engineering status reports.
Qualifications and Experience
- A recognized degree in civil/structural engineering from an accredited college or university
- Registration as a professional engineer. Alternatively, registration as a candidate professional engineer actively working towards professional registration or regional equivalent.
- Minimum seven years project engineering experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Ability to function with minimal supervision
- Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards
- Experience with Mathcad, Staad Pro or similar structural analysis software
- Awareness of Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) Policy and standards.
- Experience within a large project, multidisciplinary Design-Build environment.
- Experience of working in a BIM environment.
- Familiarity and experience with North American codes and standards.
- Sound knowledge of 3D data-centric design systems
- Sound knowledge of engineering management systems
- Ability to delegate tasks and effectively supervise others
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.
- Good leadership skills.