We are currently seeking a talented Senior Geotechnical Engineer to become part of our expanding Geotechnical Discipline in our Sudbury Office. This is a senior position for which your focus will be to support and execute challenging projects and ensure technical excellence within the existing team. You will require a strong technical background in Geotechnical Engineering for linear transportation projects (i.e., rail and highway); Mining and industrial projects; and Energy projects including embankment dam, and foundations for hydropower structures, with a focus on seismic soil analysis and design in Ontario, Canada. Exceptional writing and interpersonal skills are essential. Diverse experience will also be considered an asset.
- Engineering support to geotechnical projects from concept to construction. Projects will generally be concentrated within the Mining/Industrial, Civil Infrastructure (transportation and rail), Water Resources, and Energy (Hydropower and Dams) sectors.
- Undertaking geotechnical engineering analyses and designs including railway embankments, and cut slopes, foundation designs for Civil Infrastructure and large Mining/Industrial/Energy projects, embankment dam designs; slope stability assessments; seismic design, liquefaction analysis, pavement design, pile design, seepage and piping assessments; and soil improvement designs.
- Preparing detailed technical reports, drawings, specifications and correspondence.
- Engaging client relationships.
- Identifying key opportunities in the geotechnical field with a focus on the Ontario region in Canada.
- Preparing proposals for Engineering Services Requests.
- Mentorship and development of junior and intermediate engineers, designers and technicians.
- Undertaking technical reviews of documents and technical drawings prepared by the team.
- Development of team for specialist geotechnical applications.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering (with a specialization in Geotechnical Engineering).
- Licensed or eligible for licensure as a Professional Engineer in Ontario, Canada.
- 10 to 15 years post-graduation Geotechnical engineering experience.
- Demonstrated experience in geotechnical site investigation and design, site characterization, soft soil engineering, foundation assessments and recommendations, seismic assessment and liquefaction analysis, seepage and piping assessment, and construction support from tendering to inspections.
- Proven experience in the types of analyses and design processes required for linear transportation projects (i.e., rail and highway), and energy projects (hydropower and dams).
- Leadership skills with a proven aptitude to mentor and develop junior engineers, designers and technicians.
- Team focused with excellent interpersonal skills and understanding of multidisciplinary projects.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills.
- Good working knowledge of specialized Geotechnical software and modeling tools (Geostudio Suite, RocScience Suite, gint, LPILE, Plaxis, Leapfrog, OpenGround, etc).
- Ability to travel within Canada and Internationally on short-term assignments as required.
- Demonstrated experience in the Civil Infrastructure, with a focus on transportation and rail projects, and energy projects associated with hydropower and embankment dam design and dam safety reviews, including proven project experience in design of foundations, road and railway embankments, bridge foundation design including pile design, temporary shafts, support systems for temporary excavations, open cut excavations, general earth works and design of temporary/permanent dewatering systems.
- Previous consulting engineering experience.
- Post graduate education (M.Sc., M.Eng. or equivalent).
Ability to travel within Canada and Internationally on long-term assignments.