The Control, Automation & Electrical team is a Hatch global discipline providing engineering design expertise to Hatch's metals, infrastructure and energy business units. Our capability spans through the whole project lifecycle comprising; scoping, conceptual design, pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, basic and detailed engineering, construction, commissioning, sustaining capital works and project management. Our team in Vancouver is looking for a Control & Automation Engineer.
The Controls & Automation Engineer will be part of an engineering team providing engineering services to large and small projects. The Controls & Automation Engineer is responsible for the execution of the engineering related to a specific project including, but not limited to preparing design criteria, engineering calculations, technical specifications, data sheets and reports.
- Instrumentation and control system design, control strategy development, PLC/HMI programming, commissioning
- Prepare technical documentation required for the execution of projects, including but not limited to: standard specifications, design criteria, P&IDs, schematics, loop drawings, instrument datasheets, wiring diagrams, layout drawings, installation details, control narratives, network diagrams, cable schedule, instrument list, equipment list
- Development and management of instrumentation and control system procurement packages
- Manage and coordinate with the project manager and CA&E Lead the progress of the engineering work in accordance with the project scope, schedule and procedures
- Review shop drawings to ensure conformity with engineering designs
- Managing scope, schedule, and budgets for control and automation work on projects
- Mentoring junior team members
- Assist the Lead/Senior Electrical Engineers in ensuring that the checking of documentation and interdisciplinary coordination is implemented in accordance with project procedures
- Client engagement on projects, business development to generate work
- Assist in field engineering and commissioning on site as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- Registration as a professional engineer in Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Minimum 5 years of diverse experience, and eager to develop skills spanning design, programming, field engineering and commissioning
- Experience in mining will be considered a strong asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of control systems, instrumentation and communication systems
- Strong understanding of cost & schedule management, delegation of work to a team and managing team performance to deliver projects
- Self-starter with the drive to go above and beyond consistently
- Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders on a technical and interpersonal level
- Awareness of Health, Safety, Environment and Community policy and standards
- Experience in the mining and/or energy sectors is an asset
- Communication system design including WLAN, LTE, fibre optic infrastructure and voice networks would be an asset.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.