We are seeking an Mechanical Designer to join our Technologies team. In this role you will be responsible for the production of mechanical layouts, models and drawings in accordance with project requirements under the supervision of the Lead Mechanical Designer.
The development of innovative technologies is an important part of Hatch’s history and legacy. Our Technologies team is focused on the commercialization and delivery of technologies across all three of Hatch’s sectors: Metals, Energy, Infrastructure. We’re a team of innovators and problem solvers who deliver custom and specialized engineering to deliver novel solutions and technologies. In addition to developing new technologies and selecting and installing equipment in greenfield projects, we help our clients to get the most from their existing assets by providing field support, rebuild repairs, and retrofits. We also work with our clients to optimize their existing technologies to achieve the maximize benefit.
- Provide design input at various stages of the lifecycle, from layout, conceptual design, basic and detail engineering phases.
- Design mechanisms, subsystems and equipment involving all or some of the following - mechanical, structural, pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical, and electronic components.
- Review drawings for accuracy, material selection, manufacturability, machining techniques, finishes, etc.
- Produce engineering design packages ready for final checking and review in line with group practices and project requirements
- Assist design team with mechanical design and detailing of larger systems.
- Provide support and direction to less experienced team members
- Communicate with technical managers and project team members regarding all aspects of the project
- Timely delivery of submissions per project plans and schedules
- Work cooperatively with clients, colleagues, contractors, management, and suppliers.
- Work under the direction of, and deliver submissions to Design Coordinators, Engineers and Managers.
- Participate in formal engineering review processes
- Communicate with vendors for technical information and specifications
- Select purchased components and ‘off the shelf” solutions as appropriate to meet requirements
- Participate in site visits to vendor/supplier shops, client facilities and construction sites as required
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in mechanical design, mechanical engineering or equivalent and a minimum of 8 years’ experience in a similar position
- Ability to design in Siemens Solid Edge modelling and drafting environments is preferred
- Proficient in the use of Parametric modelling and detailing tools such as Solid Edge, SOLIDWORKS, Inventor, Catia etc.
- Proficient in the use of 2D drafting tools for layout and design e.g., AutoCAD, MicroStation
- Solid understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, and conveying of design intent on drawings using appropriate annotation and symbols
- Good understanding of welding procedures as they apply to your designs and conveying of design intent on drawings using welding symbols
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.
- Demonstrated experience in layout and detailed design of mechanical equipment
- Knowledge of industry or regulatory standards, regulations, and codes pertinent to the design of mechanical equipment
- Exceptional attention to detail with self-checking skills required.
- Willingness to learn and self-educate
- Previous experience with Product
- Previous experience with engineering data management software, Product Lifecycle Management tools and/or ERP systems is advantageous