Reporting to the Head of Canada, you will be responsible for executing investment strategies in accordance with Ivanhoé Cambridge’s investment budget, as specified in the annual business plan and/or strategic plan in place for the organization. You will play a key role in developing the business and strategic plans and in the investment activities for the Canadian market. In the fulfilment of your duties, you will do your part to boost the group’s performance, with an emphasis on collaboration and teamwork.
You will be tasked with leading the team in charge of the investments made by Ivanhoé Cambridge’s Canada hub.
In addition, you will be actively involved in business development efforts, contribute to analyzing investment opportunities and oversee due diligence, working closely with internal and external stakeholders. You will also help set up and strengthen strategic partnerships for major projects, including acquisitions of companies and real estate portfolios across multiple asset classes. The Canadian market will be the focus of this position.
Your duties will include the following:
- Source and identify opportunities to invest, divest and forge partnerships in the Canadian real estate market;
- Establish and maintain business relationships with key Canadian real estate market players and stakeholders in alternative and complementary segments;
- Monitor target markets and maintain a network of industry contacts (appraisers, brokers, managers, etc.) for business development purposes;
- Make and coordinate recommendations on whether to move forward with prospective investments and about preferred financing structures to optimize risk/return profiles;
- Oversee the drafting of financial analyses; lead due diligence activities; contribute to the preparation of investment memorandums for presentation to the relevant decision-making bodies;
- Skilfully negotiate transactions involving the Canada hub team (acquisitions, dispositions, development transactions, etc.);
- Ensure compliance with established transaction approval procedures, as stipulated in the corresponding delegations of authority for the manager/partner and in accordance with applicable policies and budgets;
- Engage multidisciplinary teams and coordinate interactions between various internal teams, including those in charge of asset management, portfolio management, development, finance/accounting, taxation, legal affairs, ESG, risk management and public affairs, while the transaction process is underway;
- Work closely with asset management teams and various partners and internal stakeholders to help drive post-investment value;
- Play an active role on partners’ advisory committees, as appropriate, and contribute to investment theses involving inorganic growth;
- Ensure a balance between assets that generate long-term returns and investment and disposition opportunities stemming from favourable, specific market conditions;
- Help build a strong transaction team with the required skills and expertise based on functions, position levels and responsibilities held;
Real estate investing and structured investments
- Put forward innovative ideas concerning investment structures in order to optimize risk/return profiles and align with partners’ interests;
- Develop market strategies, business plans and strategic investment plans, documenting them for subsequent presentation to various committees;
- Thoroughly analyze current issues and priorities within the Canadian real estate market and forecast where the industry and various trends are headed;
- Develop business opportunities; identify and suggest alternative and/or complementary investment themes for the Canadian real estate ecosystem;
- Maintain a curated network of key contacts in order to position Ivanhoé Cambridge as an investor of choice;
- Demonstrate the necessary agility to contribute to every investment stage and cycle (from sourcing through to management and disposition);
- Represent Ivanhoé Cambridge and ensure it is strategically positioned in the Canadian market; serve on the boards of companies in the portfolio when called for;
- Supervise the execution of preliminary analyses and recommendations regarding proposed investments and dispositions;
- Carefully navigate the underlying long-term considerations (strategic, operational and political) of portfolio investments; guide teams in revisiting investment theses and proposed courses of action when necessary; use this information to influence decision-makers;
- Plan and oversee due diligence execution, documentation and coordination with various internal and external parties;
- Assess risks and issues flagged during due diligence and review the relevant points with the risk management team and partners;
- Lead, supervise, train and mentor the investment team with regard to the development of investment theses.
The toolbox we are looking for !
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration or accounting; master’s degree preferred;
- C.App., CPA, CFA or the equivalent an asset;
- Ten or more years of investment experience; familiarity with investment structures used for private equity and debt securities;
- Established track record in working with a variety of real estate, private equity, structured investment and other investment transactions;
- Understanding of financial modelling and risk management;
- Demonstrated ease in negotiating transactional documents;
- Skilled communicator with a keen business development focus;
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative business relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Experience managing projects independently, leading teams and meeting specified deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle tight deadlines;
- Availability to travel for work;
- Excellent information processing and analytical skills; detail-oriented and intellectually curious;
- Excellent written and spoken French and English, with strong business writing skills;
- Outgoing, dynamic, organized and self-motivated;
- High-level proficiency in Excel, Argus, Word, PowerPoint, etc.