The Applications Management Support Specialist is a technologist responsible for overseeing the secure and efficient operation and administration of the Refinery control systems applications and information networks. This role is critically essential to enabling and supporting numerous groups to complete their duties for HSE critical tasks such as asset management and equipment monitoring. This role is responsible for ensuring enabling business critical information is secure, available and maintained at the highest integrity level to allow corporate strategic planning to occur. This role requires extreme specialized skill and knowledge to develop, implement and monitor fully customized application environments and ensure their continual peak performance and operation. This role is responsible for operating and maintaining the refining process optimization and enhancement tools and development environment. The Applications Management Support Specialist II is also charged with ensuring End-user License agreement (EULA) and licensing agreements are followed to maintain compliance for the software environment and is responsible for aligning and maintaining backup strategies to ensure compliance with recovery and business continuity standards to ensure business continuity in the event of an incident.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, bonus, and pension plan
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account
- Hybrid Work Opportunity – flexible work model that supports a blend of in-office and remote
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
- Paid vacation and vacation purchasing
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for six consecutive years
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Develop recommendations for design changes, improvements and optimization of operations and services to support growth, reliability, automation and functional enhancements to ensure proper and efficient operations of control system applications and administration of the domain policy for safe and controlled operations. (20%)
- Lead upgrades as approved via Management of Change (MOC) process by executing work, managing vendor interface, oversee testing and coordinating installations (20%)
- Own the technical interface with third party vendors providing liaison between Irving Oil and vendors to advocate for Irving Oil in application management requirements. Collaborate with groups across the refinery to understand requirements and translate them to actionable initiatives. (10%)
- Develop and deploy cyber security enhancements and strengthen configurations as well as monitor and manage patching and validation methods to satisfy policies and best practices (15%)
- Configure and maintain automation systems databases and repositories. Ensure plant historian data is being collected and stored for archival use and analysis. (10%)
- Coordinate data interfacing through communication servers and services to enable 3rd party applications to perform their functions (10%)
- Develop and operate backup mechanisms to satisfy the requirements of the identified targets and requirements and ensure validation, testing and duplication practices satisfy policy and best practices (10%)
- Develop a reliability plan to manage and evolve the life cycle of systems to ensure peak performance and migration to future technology practices and timely investments to ensure proper operation. Perform required PM’s (Preventive Maintenance) to ensure disruption free operation and recommend optimizations for system performance and overall operations. Verify and maintain compliance with EULA (End-user license agreement) software licensing agreements. (15%)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Self-starter, ability to multitask, proven ability to effectively contribute in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills.
- Must be able to quickly shift focus based on needs of the operation.
- Travel is not a requirement for this role.
Education and experience
- NBSCETT PTech Certification,
- 15+ years of related experience including 8 - 10 years industrial environment (refining preferred)
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.