We are looking for Electrical Engineering Designers to join our capital projects engineering team in Saint John, NB. You will work closely with cross functional engineering and operations teams to support capital project development activities. This includes design, development, maintenance, research, installation, and equipment performance analysis. These positions require that you spend time in the field, so you must be willing and able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required. If you enjoy working in an industrial setting, like the mix of having independent work as well as working within a team, can multi-task effectively and shift priorities quickly, this is a great opportunity to join one of Canada’s Top 100 employers!
What we offer
- Competitive salary, bonus and pension plan
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account
- Flexible work program
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
- Paid vacation and vacation purchasing
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for six consecutive years
Your Roles and Responsibilities
- Using appropriate discipline software, design standards and work processes, develop engineering drawings and designs for scope related to capital projects.
- With supervision, prepare basic plans, calculations, and designs.
- Collect data and conduct studies and surveys on equipment and processes; be proactive in recommending improvements.
- Perform field visits to collect measurements and field data.
- Investigate and analyze operational problems and opportunities; recommend sound, workable solutions.
- Participate in the installation and commissioning of equipment and / or systems.
- Assist with inspection of installations as needed.
- Create engineering work packages to deliver detailed installation details to field personnel.
- Assist with inventory management and equipment part change orders.
- Ensure that all drawings and drawing changes are recorded in appropriate drawing repository.
- Assist in maintaining company standards and practices.
- Prime liaison with Technical Document Control for up-to-date and easily accessed document record keeping.
- Other duties as required within the team to achieve operational goals.
- Strong technical report writing skills.
- Proficiency in the appropriate software for your discipline, e.g. AutoCad, 3D Model, CADWorx, electric heat tracing design software such as CompuTrace, etc.
- Able to develop, read and interpret engineering drawings, including P&IDs, isometrics, plot plans, elevations, one-line diagrams, etc.
- Practical mindset to engineering designs.
- Sound knowledge of common engineering / design concepts, best practices, and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be well organized and have ability to balance multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Analytical thinker who enjoys finding solutions to problems.
- Willing and able to continuously learn both through formal training and self-study.
- Proficient with MS Office: Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint.
- These positions will also require time spent in the field, so you must be comfortable spending time in an industrial setting while wearing all required PPE.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Education and experience
- Post-secondary education in Electrical Engineering Design technology, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience as an Electrical Engineering Technologist, discipline designer or closely related field.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in an industrial environment.
- Experience with Electric Heat Tracing design is a requirement.
- Experience with AutoCAD Plant 3D is an asset.
- Experience with relay programming software (eg. SEL AcSELerator, GE EnerVista, ABB Drive Composer) is an asset.
- NBSCETT certified, or eligible in the province of NB, is a definite asset.
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.