The IT Server Specialist is responsible for working with our vendors to maintain the Data Center by tracking server activity, performing software upgrades, maintaining Server hardware, helping with technical problems, and improving efficiency by analyzing and evaluating network server functions. This role provides guidance and ensures that industry best practices are followed with respect to: storage systems, operating systems, account security, directory services, and server virtualization, software and application packaging\deployments.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, bonus, and pension plan
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account
- Hybrid Work Opportunity – flexible work model that supports a blend of in-office and remote
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
- Paid vacation and vacation purchasing
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for six consecutive years
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Oversee maintenance and operations of multiples servers: database, file, mail, print, web, and application servers.
- Work with vendors to maintain and configure servers to operate at optimal capacity: connectivity, utilization, server administration, and performance tuning.
- Manage the System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) suite of tools with administration, deployment packaging, network inventory, boundaries, installer and network designing.
- Lead End User teams in deployment packaging and processes related to SCCM
- Ensure that storage systems and backups are properly maintained.
- Ensure that proper server backup and recovery strategy as well as disaster recovery and business continuity practices are followed.
- Oversee the process of troubleshooting for server issues, know how to identify, diagnose, and resolve problems, document the solution, and track issues whether it’s network, host, or operating systems.
- Work with other team members and vendors to source hardware that will meet company requirements and standards.
- Maintain a strong understanding of Windows and Linux Server environments.
- Create test plans and strategies for new functionality.
- Create, request, and present technical specifications and requirements for purchase of new servers.
- Stay current with system information, changes, and updates and how that may affect functionality.
- Experience working in a vendor supported network environments.
- Support multiple customers and stakeholders. Need to be able to react quickly and calmly to any server issues and resolve them as quickly as possible.
- Applicable SCCM certification or training
- Experience leading software deployment solutions and projects
- Strong ability to work as part of a team, network, and build relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills; with keen outside the box thinking.
- Continuous improvement mindset.
- Highly collaborative approach and work well with others.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Travel is not a requirement for this position.
Education and experience
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or related field.
- Certifications in ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) an asset.
- Microsoft certifications an asset, e.g. MCSE
- VMware certifications an asset, e.g. VCP,VCAP
- 8+ years IT experience with a minimum 5 years’ experience working with Enterprise level Server infrastructure, Virtual and Physical.
- Some Cloud experience would be an asset.
- Linux certifications an asset.
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.