This position will assist in the life cycle management of information technology solutions at the IESO for operating the IESO Administered Markets and providing reliable operation of the electrical system (IESO controlled grid).
What you'll do
- Assist/contribute to the support and development of integrated computer based information solutions for business and operations processes for the reliable operation of the power system and for other administration needs of the IESO Administered Markets. Perform analysis of customer requirements, the recommendation of functional specifications, and the preparation of recommended information solutions (ie, impacting areas of software, hardware, communications and business processes)
- Contribute to the management and evolution of existing information systems and tools related to the market operation, supply, security and settlement services related to the management of the power system by contributing to enhancements to allow additional functionality, improved reliability/maintainability and problem correction
- Assist/contribute to the identification of opportunities for information solutions that will allow effective and economic benefits for customers. Address the overall solution in terms of communications, data sources, software tools, integration with existing functions, user interfaces, algorithms, etc.
- Assist in the monitoring and scrutiny of assigned projects for the development and expansion of information systems and tools
- Assist in the provision of project management support to projects or teams involved in the expansion and improvement of information systems and tools
- Contribute to and carry out close customer relationships and be alert to identify potential improvements to existing systems and to propose new information system requirements
- Contribute as directed to the development of strategic plans and standards
- Contribute with peers and associates to advance their learning and facilitate their problem solving skills within their respective area of expertise
- Perform other duties as required
What you need to succeed
- Requires a strong academic knowledge of computer science and associated subjects, including a strong theoretical knowledge pertinent to the specialist areas of the technical or business operations of the electricity market and administration processes related to power system delivery. The position necessitates a strong disposition to power system security analysis theory. The specific areas include state estimation, pre and post contingency steady-state security analysis and transient stability analysis. The candidate should possess good communication skills, including report or business presentation skills.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four-year University education in the appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education
- The selected individual will be assigned to the EMS/MIS Software support team. This team is responsible for tools used by IESO control room staff to monitor the IESO Control Grid and Operate the IESO administered market. The successful candidate should thrive in an environment which features short-duration recurring critical deadlines that demand high quality deliverables.
- The selected individual will be required to be on-call to support applications 24x7 on a periodic basis.
- Excellent analytical and communications skills (verbal/written).
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates a strong personal commitment to customer needs and corporate objectives.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual with proven excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to focus on minute details to ensure product quality
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of data query and manipulation tools
- Experience in one or more of the following would be an asset:
- One or more of the following solution development disciplines:
- Business Analyst;
- Solution Analyst;
- Technical Analyst;
- System Analyst; System Integrator; and
- Project Manager.
- Application support and/or problem resolution in time-critical situations.
- Tool and data support for solutions associated with grid monitoring and the IESO market: SCADA, MIS, SCADA study & MIS study.
- Power System Modeling techniques in Energy Management Systems and Electricity Markets.
- Information Technology Service Framework (e.g. ITIL Change Control)
- A period of over four years, up to and including six years, is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Action Oriented
- Learning on the Fly