This position exists across multiple areas in Market and System Operations, with materially similar accountabilities and skill requirements. In addition to detailing common duties, this job document identifies area specific expectations that assist incumbents and managers in understanding specific expectations for that area.
What you’ll do
Undertake responsibilities to resolve complex and advanced problems and inquiries supporting real-time operations, operations planning, or planning functions. through analysis and application of highly specialized technology in the field of power system operation in areas including:
- Operating Security Limits (all time frames);
- transfer capability;
- outage (transmission and resource) assessment and support;
- transmission services;
- ancillary service requirements;
- supply adequacy, security and operability;
- joint operating and/or planning studies;
- inter-area activities;
- new or modified power system facilities and connections to the IESO-controlled grid;
- NERC/NPCC reliability standards compliance and support;
- executing the Day Ahead commitment process;
- equipment performance and model validation;
- developing and managing online and off-line development security models used by security and market software;
- validation of the real time operating plan;
- mentoring and assisting training of new and/or junior staff; or
- supporting real-time operations use of operating instructions and the accuracy of security software results.
- Receive direction from Engineering Manager, Engineer Supervisor or Senior Manager in broad terms on specific problems related to assigned areas of work. Obtain necessary data for problem solution. Initiate actions to develop solutions to problems, information to produce necessary justification (documentation, study results, etc.) substantiate recommendations.
Limit Derivation and Outage Integration Role:
- Through technical studies, identify bounds of operations and define critical parameters in the power system for all time frames within the normal scope of coverage. Produce reports to support findings and recommendations.
- Through technical studies, identify power system operating limits and instructions in support of real-time, operations planning and long-term planning using appropriate study criteria within normal, high-risk and emergent system conditions.
- As required, derive limits and operating instructions within the normal scope of coverage and for forced/planned outages in all time frames, including the provision of TTC/ATC to facilitate the energy markets, capacity/demand response auctions, and transmission rights markets.
- Coordinate, issue and oversee the revision, maintenance and accuracy of operating limits to support reliability monitoring and security constrained economic dispatch (market) systems through applicable contingency analysis software and instructions used by off-shift and on-shift staff.
- Support real-time monitoring tools as they related to system and market operations.
- Complete outage integration reviews and reporting for system security and adequacy with the purpose of accepting or rejecting outage requests from market participants and neighbouring entities. Coordination between participants, neighbouring entities, or with the IESO maybe be required.
Assess Power System Change Role:
- Lead System Impact, Technical Feasibility, and de-registration assessments to evaluate the reliability and operability impact of a new or modified connection, or a disconnection, on the integrated power system using applicable IESO, NERC and NPCC reliability standards.
- Oversee and prepare reports containing the results of the study, any required system upgrades and connection requirements, and a recommendation for the IESO to issue a notice of approval or disapproval for the new or modified connection.
- Validate registration data based on information initially submitted for assessment. Re-assess the proposed connection if the registration data differs materially from the configuration or technical parameters that were used by the IESO to approve the new or modified facility.
- Coordinate M&SO support for regional and bulk power system planning, including the preparation of evidence required by connection applicants to obtain the OEB’s leave to construct and for inquiries from neighboring jurisdiction as they relate to connection assessments.
- Conduct complex technical studies to support the IESO's initiatives for evolving the policies related to the operations and evolution of the IESO-controlled grid and the IESO-administered markets.
Modelling and Validation Role:
- Lead the development of base cases to support Ontario and regional reliability studies by the IESO, participants and other external organizations
- Develop and maintain suitable models to support the IESO’s Energy Management and Market Systems to enable the applicable real-time and day-ahead operations. Provide leadership on technical approaches to this development and support capacity.
- Establish recommended approaches for efficient and innovative means to maintain and support the IESO’s contingency analysis software used by off-shift and on-shift staff.
- Specify and review the results of tests to confirm that facilities connected to the IESO-controlled grid satisfy the IESO’s performance requirements. Based on the results of performance tests, recommend transmission and generation models suitable for planning and operating studies.
Compliance Studies Role:
- Validate and support standards compliance as well as industry best practices by leading and contributing to the necessary technical studies required through participation in appropriate NERC/NPCC committees, working groups, forums, etc. that involve coordinated interconnected technical studies to assess the security of the IESO-controlled-grid and surrounding region under various system conditions.
- Lead and conduct complex joint studies to review the utilization of resources on the interconnected system to achieve maximum economic gain and operating flexibility.
- Lead the IESO’s effort for the SPS/RAS classification processes on behalf of the IESO with external standards authorities.
- Support IESO security, adequacy and operability obligations found in the Market Rules and in applicable NERC and NPCC reliability standards.
- Lead and prepare key reliability compliance evidence, including work procedures, RSAWs, market manuals, training material and participation in reliability audits. Act as a subject matter expert in compliance activities; such as on-site audits and spot checks.
- Participate in task forces, as well as internal/external committees on matters related to the secure and economic operation of the IESO-controlled-grid. Represent the IESO on interconnection committees. Participate as assigned, as a representative of the IESO before regulatory agencies, etc. and endeavor to advance the interests of the organization in designated areas.
- Supply a consultative service to other departments and/or business units on matters related to adequacy, security and operability.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other members of the group. This may include problem resolution, training, and quality checks.
- Sign or sign and seal documents as a P Eng. thus taking professional responsibility for one’s own work.
- Sign or sign and seal documents as a P Eng. for peer review, or to assume professional engineering responsibility for engineering work performed by unlicensed staff.
- Mentor and assist training of new and/or junior staff
- Exercise limited/periodic supervision over assigned staff on special projects.
- Perform other duties as required.
What you need to succeed
- Requires an advanced engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, associated mathematics and computer science to undertake complex engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the management and control of the bulk power system. Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports.
- This knowledge is acquired through the completion of an engineering/applied sciences degree from an accredited university or by having the equivalent education. Additional study in areas of advanced engineering knowledge, as may be attained through self-study and long-term association with the job demands, combined with short specialized courses, are required to carry out the job requirements. The completion of a related post-graduate degree, is preferred, but not required.
- Requires a licence to engage in the practice professional engineering in Ontario and be competent in the field of electrical engineering.
- Requires significant exposure to the overall power system operation through progressive training as an engineer in this technical field. Requires specific experience as applicable to the particular specialty of the group including that of encompassing a leadership role in the undertaking of studies and investigations in this particular field. Experience will include completion of practical on the job training and experience completing work related to the fields of:
- utilization of generation resources
- secure operation of bulk electricity system
- Background experience will include:
- electrical engineering design concepts as they relate to the functions and characteristics of power system components
- analytical studies and the application of computer techniques to solve power system problems
- familiarity with power system operation, practices, and policies
- familiarity with electric energy and transmission rights market operations, practices, policies, and Market Rules
- competitive market operations
- provincial operating and system requirements
- particulars of power system operation, including technical features of equipment and facilities, high-tension transmission, system interconnection and methods of attaining efficiency in power production and interchange between systems
- A period of over 8 years, up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
What’s in it for you
• A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
• A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
• Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
• The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry