This is an exciting time to join our LifeLabs team, grow your career with us and support numerous business initiatives, innovations, best practice and business development opportunities. LifeLabs is currently looking for a Laboratory Assistant to join our team in Vancouver BC.
As a Laboratory Assistant you will be responsible for the specimen collection process, from greeting patients through to preparation of specimens for transportation. This is an important role in patient care and our business, and will let you see the difference that you make in patients’ lives.
This is a Temporary Full-Time position, City Center PSC, 206-1160 Burrard - 9-5 The successful candidate will be working at City Center PSC, 206-1160 Burrard, Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.
This is a temporary position for 6 months or return of incumbent.
Hours: 37.5 hours weekly
Start Date: August 29, 2022
In this role you will:
- Greet and request required information from patients, explain the specimen collection process, and ensure patients have followed necessary test protocol prior to specimen collection.
- Perform phlebotomies, connect/disconnect holter monitors, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring, and perform ECG tracings.
- Perform special test collections, such as medical/legal drug screens, paternity tests, and clinical trials, and complete related documentation.
- Maintain client relationships, including responding to inquiries and following up on requests.
- Complete data entry of required patient demographics, requisition information, and other information related to processing test results.
- Prepare specimens for transportation and testing.
The right person for this role will be focused on great customer/patient service, and be able to relate to patients and clients even in stressful situations. Some key qualities include: empathy, flexibility, adaptability to change, and problem solving skills. Other requirements include:
- Completion of a recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant program or equivalent related experience such as working as a healthcare professional with previous training or experience in phlebotomy, intravenous infusion and/or intravenous therapy (e.g. nurses, infusion therapist, cardiac technologist etc.).
- ECG training or experience is an asset.
- Proficient data entry skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain the strictest standards of patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively relate to patients and health care providers.