Our ESG Customer Success team is seeking to recruit environmental and social Risk Advisors (Advisor). These advisors will become an integral part of a multi-disciplinary advisory team composed of experts in social and human rights assessment, community engagement, labour and occupational health and safety, environmental management, environmental law, climate change and biodiversity, with a specific focus on the international arena. This is an opportunity for individuals who are resourceful self-starters, that thrive in a dynamic team environment, to work directly on the ever evolving environmental and social (E&S) risk management in the financial sector.
Within the framework of EDC’s legal, international and corporate sustainability and responsibility requirements, an Advisor provides expert advice to EDC in managing E&S risks associated with EDC’s financing and insurance transactions, in accordance with EDC’s E&S review and risk management policies, procedures and legal requirements.
An Advisor considers the activities of the exporter, the industry and the country context of a financial transaction to provide expert guidance to EDC and the customer on E&S risk management. In addition, an Advisor leads or plays a key role in developing and/or refining corporate responsibility policies, programs and initiatives. He/she is a key player in defining and negotiating the ESG Customer Success team’s interactions with various internal teams.
- Operationalizes the corporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) risk management framework including determination of risk tolerance, limits and delegations, measurement, and implementation of an integrated risk modeling system.
- Undertakes assessments of potential risks for an organization at every level and aggregates the results at the corporate level to facilitate priority setting and improved decision-making.
- Identifies and analyzes potential non-credit related sources of transaction risk, from an environmental, human rights and climate perspective and for the operations of the Corporation more broadly, recommends strategies for minimizing risks.
- Communicates information regarding business risks across the organization.
- Performs EDC’s legal, international and corporate E&S due diligence requirements through the identification and assessment of E&S impacts and risks associated with transactions to which EDC may provide support
- Conducts project benchmarking against international E&S standards
- Supports the negotiation and structuring of E&S commitments in financing and insurance documentation
- Assists in the review of monitoring reports and identifies and assesses potential E&S risks and presents findings to asset managers
- Supports the ESG Customer Success teams’ and the Corporation’s continuous improvement initiatives through the use of problem-solving and other related techniques
- Efficiently executes all Associate Advisor responsibilities
- Assesses the adequacy of proposed mitigation measures to address E&S risks
- Negotiates and structures E&S commitments in financing and insurance documentation in collaboration with the business teams
- Independently reviews monitoring reports, identifies and assesses potential E&S risks and presents findings to asset managers
- Occasionally participates in site visits for financing projects to assess E&S risk, observe on-site conditions and document findings
- Leads some of ESG Customer Success and the Corporation’s continuous improvement initiatives through the use of problem-solving and other related techniques
- Efficiently executes all Advisor responsibilities
- Oversees and trains team members to ensure that EDC fulfills it’s legal, international and corporate E&S due diligence requirements through the identification and assessment of E&S impacts and risks associated with transactions to which EDC may provide support
- Reviews monitoring reports and identifies and assesses potential E&S risks and presents findings to asset managers
- Leads and coaches others through the ESG Customer Success teams’ and the Corporations’ continuous improvement initiatives through the use of problem-solving and other related techniques
- Completion of a degree in an environmentally related field, such as Environmental Science (or a sub-discipline such as ecology, environmental management, climate change science, water resources, etc.,) Environmental Law, Engineering, International Development
- Knowledge of E&S risk management principles and practices
- Minimum of 3 years (Associate Advisor); 5 years (Advisor); 7 years (Senior Advisor) of experience in risk management or related experience in the area of E&S impact assessment in an international setting
- Fluent in Canada’s two official languages (French and English)
- Ability to communicate in other languages, notably Spanish
- Experience or expertise in the areas of international biodiversity and conservation, occupational health and safety in development markets, climate change and/or carbon risk, gender or social issues and human rights
- Familiarity with international E&S standards, including among others, the International Finance Corporation’s Performance Standards and the Equator Principles
- Experience working in a matrix organization
- Professional certifications related to ESG, sustainability, climate change, human rights
- Diploma or advance training in ESG, E&S risk management
- Completion of a degree in Law/Human Rights/Gender Studies
- Work Experience / professional certification in data analytics
- Associate Advisor: $64,100 - $96,100, plus performance-based incentive
- Advisor: $75,700 - $113,600, plus performance-based incentive
- Senior Advisor: $89,000 - $133,600, plus performance-based incentive