This role is for an engineering position in our Real-Time Applications (RTA) team that is responsible for creating and maintaining the models and applications used to both reliably operate the power system and efficiently settle the energy markets in Ontario.
We are seeking bright, talented and ambitious Electrical Engineers who are eager to apply their power system engineering skills in supporting the operation of a cost-effective, reliable and sustainable Ontario power grid in the role of a power system analyst. It is also a great opportunity for those looking to work as an Engineer in Training (EIT) to acquire their Professional Engineer licence in Ontario. A successful candidate is an effective team player, a creative problem solver, a strong communicator, and has, or shows a high degree of potential to obtain, an excellent grasp of power system operations and electricity markets fundamentals.
The power system analyst role exists across multiple engineering groups within the IESO, providing excellent development and growth opportunities. Our engineering teams integrate system changes and develop operating plans for the Ontario grid and electricity markets by:
- assessing the impact of new or modified facilities and finding solutions to maintain system reliability by performing System Impact Assessments;
- predicting system behaviors and responses by building, validating and maintaining simulation models;
- ensuring an online model (Ontario and neighbouring jurisdictions) is developed and maintained such that it accurately reflects system behaviour to allow for efficient and reliable real-time operation of the grid;
- ensuring operations are secure by developing system limits and operating instructions;
- coordinating with various market participants to integrate outage plans while maintaining transmission security and resource adequacy; and
- advancing our capabilities through developing leading edge tools and processes to stay abreast of developments in the sector.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Working under the direction of Senior Power System Engineers, Engineering Managers, and the Senior Manager, as part of the RTA team you will:
- Assist with the development and maintenance of online/real-time power system network models to support the IESO’s Energy Management System (EMS), supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) and Market Information Systems (MIS) to enable applicable real-time and day-ahead operations.
- Assist with the modeling and testing of application such as State Estimation, Security and Contingency Analysis, Thermal Limit Manager, Special Protection Schemes (SPS) / Remedial Action Schemes (RAS) to support operations in Ontario, Market Participants and other external organizations.
- Assist with supporting and resolving issues and maintenance of tools (EMS, MIS) and applications in response to users' (including Control Room) needs. This includes trouble shooting, tool enhancements, and coordinating with Vendors.
- Assist with maintenance/updates of databases, and development of codes, scripts and queries for databases related to power system Network Model Builds.
- Assist and support strategic initiatives that will prepare the IESO for the future and improve the ability of the IESO to model (Ontario and neighbouring jurisdictions) and reliably operate the electricity system.
- Drive process improvements to enhance the quality and reliability of our tools and products and increase process efficiency.
What you'll need to suceed
- Requires engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics, computers science and the like to conduct engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the management and control of the bulk power system
- This knowledge is acquired through the completion of an engineering from an accredited university or by having the equivalent education
- Must be able to obtain a professional engineering license from Professional Engineers Ontario within a reasonable period of time, with a competency in the field of electrical engineering
- Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports
- Experience such as might be gained in the energy industry to become familiar with commonly used software packages, electricity sector and general system operation, real-time online modeling, and database management will be considered an asset
- Requires experience to become familiar with the nature of studies and investigations carried out by the different sections and groups of the organization
- Training will be provided further to gain on the job experience and to become familiar with methods and practices associated with the work functions
Competency Focus #1: Shape our Future
- Anticipate the future and demonstrate thought leadership
- Build organizational capability by aligning resources to strategic priorities
- Drive change and continuous improvement to support business transformation
Competency Focus #2: Energize our People
- Communicate with authenticity and clarity to inspire a shared purpose
- Develop, empower and motivate people to achieve high performance
- Model core values and invest in continuous learning
Competency Focus #3: Deliver our Mandate
- Demonstrate agility to adapt to evolving market and customer needs
- Exercise savvy risk taking and make informed decisions
- Leverage and bridge diverse perspectives to facilitate collaboratio
What’s in it for you
• A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
• A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
• Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
• The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry