Hatch is currently seeking highly motivated Tunnel Engineers to join the Infrastructure group in our Tunnels and Underground Infrastructure team based out of Hatch’s technical excellence center in Mississauga where, among other notable achievements, the first segmental tunnel linings used in North America were designed for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC).
New infrastructure and revitalizing assets are a key part of growth for any economy. We work with our clients to imagine and build cities and transit systems of the future through a constant commitment to innovation and cutting-edge technology.
Our knowledge of infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
You will be required to work within our integrated team where daily tasks include carrying out feasibility assessments, option development, preliminary and detailed level of design and numerical modelling as well as support for construction management. Your work will focus on Tunnel and underground projects with emphasize on ground-structure interaction assessment, engineering design components of underground structures including tunnels, shafts, caverns and box structure, underground structures rehabilitation, and construction management .
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Be a key member of our Tunnel group assisting in the preparation of engineering documents, modelling, , analysis, geotechnical and structural design for tunnel and underground infrastructure projects including reports, drawings and specifications.
- Assist in the development and assessment of preliminary design options, cost estimates, feasibility analysis and constructability assessment.
- Complete ground-structural engineering analyses including reinforced concrete tunnel lining, shells, walls, slabs, deep foundations, retaining structures and support of excavations. Prepare technical drawings and specifications for geotechnical design, concrete, reinforcement steel, structural steel, support of excavation and grouting.
- Identify geotechnical and structure design criteria for durability and strength and identify structure loads based on project requirements and in close coordination with other disciplines.
- Carry out advanced modelling works using software built-in or add-on codes and functionalities. Hold and/or participate in modelling review meetings.
- Prepare engineering design calculations, write memoranda and reports including numerical modelling report.
- Review engineering calculations, reports, drawings and contractor submittals.
- Assist with construction management responsibilities and carry out site inspection works for tunnels, shaft and underground structures and prepare site visit reports
- Collaborate with your counterparts on multidisciplinary design teams to ensure completed designs are fully coordinated
- Prepare design, tender and contract documents
- Coordinate with project stakeholders, including other disciplines, clients, contractors and suppliers
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, take initiative to address problems and be a self-starter
- Deliver quality service to our clients and communities served
You bring to the role:
- Geotechnical/Geomechanics, or Structural Engineering degree from an accredited University. Graduate degree(s) would be considered a definite asset.
- 5+ years of experience (or 3+ years of experience with graduate degrees) in the design and/or construction with an emphasis on geotechnical and underground structures. Design and construction experience in tunnels and underground infrastructure would be an asset.
- Professional Engineer with the P.Eng. designation in Ontario (or equivalent) is an asset.
- Practical experience with ground-structure interaction software such as FLAC2D, FLAC3D, UDEC3D is required and experience with other structural and geotechnical engineering software such as SAP2000, ETABS, RS2, RS3 is definite asset.
- Experience and good understanding of Canadian and American design codes, standards and manuals.
- Good understanding of geotechnical engineering interpretation and ground constitutive behavior (soil and rock) would be a definite asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office is mandatory. Experience with industry standard CADD software is preferred.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, exercise good judgment, interact with other staff and collaborate with other disciplines.
Why join us?
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally