Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Intermediate/Senior Designer, Rail to join the Infrastructure group in our Rail team in the Calgary, Alberta location. In this role you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects.
New infrastructure and revitalizing assets are a key part of growth for any economy. We work with our clients to imagine and build cities of the future through a constant commitment to innovation and cutting-edge technology.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Designing track and railway infrastructure in accordance with the quality objectives and regulations, laws and standards; (ex. Metrolinx, CN, CP and AREMA);
- Producing and checking a wide variety of track designs, grading models, DTM surface and applicable details;
- Being able to work with LIDAR point clouds, manage, verify and control surveys and geographic data for design needs;
- Ensuring compliance with laws and regulations in health and safety related to design;
- Coordinating designs across multiple disciplines (rail, structures, roads, drainage, etc.) in the delivery of complex projects;
- Coordinating and/or supervising the work of junior designers and drafters.
You bring to the role:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology from an accredited College;
- Design capability within rail and/or transit projects is essential;
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in all aspects of track design, from conceptual to detailed design;
- Experience in civil infrastructure, DTM surfaces, alignment, grading and drainage design, and construction would be an asset;
- Experience working for an engineering consultancy or railway within the rail sector is an asset;
- Having experience in the use and application of railway industry standards;
- Proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D. Experience with MicroStation, Navisworks or ArcGIS would also be considered an asset;
- Being an innovative thinker capable of challenging existing practices to arrive at effective solutions;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal are essential;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, and being able to supervise small groups of other designers;
- Ability to switch between tasks and assignments as required;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills in complex and changing environments.