Granville Island is administered by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) on behalf of the Federal Government. The mission of CMHC with respect to Granville Island is to maintain and foster Granville Island as a unique urban oasis in the heart of Vancouver, a place where visitors of all ages and income can meet, browse, explore and experience a variety of cultural, recreational, educational, commercial retail, arts, and industrial activities on a year-round basis.
Be part of an inclusive workplace. Diversity and Inclusion guide everything we do at CMHC. We’re taking concrete actions to eliminate racism and embed equity into our culture, processes, programs, and policies so that they reflect the lived experiences of all Canadians.
As Ground Maintenance you will assist in the success of Granville Island through completing tasks ensuring the Granville Island experience is safe, clean, and enjoyable for both clients and the Islands 11 Million visitors each year.
As Granville Island is a 7-day/ week operation, there is a requirement to be available for shift work, including evenings and weekends.
This is a temporary position of a duration of up to 4 months (with the possibility of an extension).
- Maintain cleanliness on the Island with the use of a motorized street sweeper, hand sweeping, hosing, leaf blowing, pressuring washer, etc.
- Repair, replace, and maintain wheel stops, traffic markers, roadways, sidewalks, and boardwalks. This includes minor carpentry work replacing planks and deck boards, cold patch asphalt repairs, and installation of interlocking paving stones.
- Assorted daily cleaning duties, as needed, in the maintenance shop and around the island exterior locations.
- Cleaning gutters, roof drains, canopies, awnings, skylights, and windows using lifts, extension poles, and power washers, etc.
- Set up/takedown of temporary tents, stages, and barricades for performances at different venues as directed by work orders and site plans
- Emptying garbage and recycling receptacles around the island bring waste to a centralized location
- Using the forklift to transfer or pick up to tow garbage and recycling bins to a centralized location for pick up or emptying
- Operate a hydraulic compacting machine to compress garbage, and to sort any recycle materials out to the landfill garbage
- Complete additional tasks as required (i.e minor repairs, hanging signage, project cleaning, traffic control)
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner as a representative of CMHC
- A minimum of 1 year of equivalent work experience in grounds maintenance.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the use of grounds maintenance equipment like power washers, leaf blowers, and street sweepers
- Safety knowledge as per Workers Compensation Board regulations and the Canada Labour Code.
- Demonstrated experience in basic carpentry and the installation of interlocking pavers including the safe use of power and hand tools
- Must be aware of the hazards of, and be able to work in, a marine environment.
- Ability to stay focused on the task at hand, in a highly congested environment.
- Certification as a forklift, scissor lift, and boom lift operator is an asset
- Basic construction trades knowledge: plumbing, electrical, mechanical, etc. is an asset
- Posting closing date: The competition may remain active until filled
- Language Designation: English Essential
- Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak): ZZZ
- Salary Range: $22.71 / hour + shift premiums
- Position Status: Temporary Full Time
- Job Requisition ID: 5509
- Office Location: Vancouver (BC)
- Security Requirement: Reliability Status
- Travel Requirement: Travel not required
- Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements.
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require accommodation.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.