Who is Keilhauer?
Founded in 1981, Keilhauer is a privately owned, design-focused contract furniture manufacturer. Working with world-renowned furniture designers, Keilhauer is internationally recognized for award-winning design, built with extreme craftsmanship, to the highest environmental standards. At Keilhauer, we believe that because we all share this planet, it is essential that we do our part protecting it. Our comprehensive sustainability program, Planet Keilhauer, driven by our goal of closed-loop manufacturing, is an approach to production in which there is no waste and materials are cycled back into the system, minimizing environmental impact.
As an integral member of a production cell, the Upholsterer skillfully applies diverse fabric and leather covers to our furniture pieces using scissors, staple guns, hammers, air-powered screw guns and other tools. The Upholsterer is efficient and pays accurate attention to product quality during all upholstery activities and follows all safety protocols and workplace policies. Extensive on-the-job training is required to become proficient in all product models.
This role is best suited to a skilled Upholsterer who enjoys working in a team environment and takes pride in producing quality workmanship. Meeting the demands of a busy production schedule and delivering high-quality products in a timely manner furthers Keilhauer’s mission of making work comfortable for all.
- Applies upholstery skillfully and according to instructions
- Reads and understands work orders and applies knowledge and experience to the task.
- Continuously learns necessary steps to upholster new products.
- Installs fabrics and leathers on arms, backs, seats, outside back, and/or arms of the frame as required.
- Trims corners with scissors, installs screws with air tools, and safely uses the staple gun and other tools.
- Manages time and prioritizes tasks to ensure completion of the daily production schedule.
- Assists new/temporary employees with understanding tasks.
- Contributes as a reliable and effective team member within and across cells.
- Performs all tasks in keeping with Keilhauer’s safety and quality standards
- Ensures quality of work meets Keilhauer standards, including proper seam lines and snug cover fit.
- Reports incidences of non-conformance or unacceptable quality on materials and components.
- Assists with assembly tasks, as required.
- Maintains company equipment and work areas in a clean and orderly manner; informs Cell Leader of issues.
- Follows all company and OSHA Safety regulations; works in a safe manner and uses personal protective equipment as instructed; reinforces housekeeping and Keilhauer’s core values.
- Previous experience upholstering furniture in a manufacturing setting.
- Completion of high school or training/education from a vocational/trade school is an asset.
- General knowledge of hand tools and their use.
- Rework skills and mechanical aptitude is a must.
- Upholsterer 1 (Basic) UPH 01
- Upholsters products require straightforward, basic skills.
- This role is suitable for novice Upholsterers open to learning and applying new skills.
- Upholsterer 2 – 3 (Intermediate) UPH 02, UPH 03
- Upholsters moderately complex pieces with several material-covered elements.
- Must be able to learn and retain the knowledge of many different product models; often required to work on multiple styles in a single day.
- This role is suitable for competent Upholsterers with 1-2 years of relevant experience.
- Upholsterer 4 (Expert) UPH 04
- Upholsters complex pieces with large covered elements.
- Responsible for assembling components of lounge pieces.
- Must be able to learn and retain the knowledge of all upholstered Keilhauer models.
- This role is suitable for skilled Upholsterers with 2-5 years of relevant experience.
Essential Physical and Intellectual Requirements
- Communication: Must be able to read and write in English; must be able to speak English or communicate in American Sign Language (ASL); must work well with others and communicate respectfully.
- Mobility: Must be able to perform physical activities (reaching, bending, pushing, pulling, stretching, lifting); must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time on a cement floor; must manoeuvre across a cement floor to access various areas of the production facility; may be required to perform work function at either Keilhauer location; may be required to help in other areas to meet business needs.
- Manual Dexterity & Coordination: Must have the strength, dexterity and coordination to regularly lift, grip and pull pieces up to 30 lbs.; use hands, wrists and fingers to pull covers over and manipulate various pieces; grip and use hand and air tools, including pneumatic stapler, orbital sanders, drills and drivers.
- Vision: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, colour vision and depth perception; must be able to visually inspect and evaluate the quality of work.
- Cognitive Ability: Must have the ability to read and interpret work guidelines, safety instructions and operating manuals; must possess general knowledge of hand and air tools; must have the ability to learn new skills; often required to work on multiple styles in a single day; must use common sense and be able to carry out written and/or oral instructions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee spends 100% of their time in the production plant environment, where they may be exposed to airborne dust particulates and noise. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- May be required to work at either Keilhauer location and help with other functional areas as the need arises.
- Must be capable of multi-tasking and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment, as required (ex. ear plugs, safety shoes).
- Must maintain a sense of urgency under tight deadlines.
- Must be willing to participate in training relevant to the position or industry.
- May occasionally be required to work overtime to meet business needs.
- Follows all company and OSHA Safety regulations; works in a safe manner reinforces housekeeping and Keilhauer’s core values.
Keilhauer has mandated a COVID-19 vaccination policy in place. As of September 22, 2021, all present and future employees are required to provide proof of receiving all recommended doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine (or combination of approved COVID-19 vaccines) to Human Resources. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to employees who are unable to vaccinate for medical reasons.
- Remote interview process.
- Personal protective equipment provided or required.
- Daily screening of all employees.
- Social distancing guidelines in place.
- Virtual meetings when possible.
- Sanitizing, disinfecting and cleaning procedures in place.
Does This Role Sound Like A Fit?
Keilhauer is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive, respectful environment for all employees. Keilhauer is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities where possible.
If this role is for you, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (416) 759-5723 and tell us why you would be a great addition to our team! Please note that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.