Who is Keilhauer?
Founded in 1981, Keilhauer is a privately owned, design-focused contract furniture manufacturer. Working with world-renowned furniture designers, Keilhauer is internationally recognized for award-winning design, built with extreme craftsmanship, to the highest environmental standards. At Keilhauer, we believe that because we all share this planet, it is essential that we do our part protecting it. Our comprehensive sustainability program, Planet Keilhauer, driven by our goal of closed-loop manufacturing, is an approach to production in which there is no waste and materials are cycled back into the system, minimizing environmental impact.
In order to serve our customers and meet the fluctuating demands of our production schedule, Keilhauer relies on Production Floaters to help shoulder the load. Production Floaters are multi-talented employees who are highly adaptable and are willing to lend their skills – and learn new ones – to help wherever it is needed. You embody Keilhauer’s “Yes we can!” approach to the workplace.
When there is an increase in volume, or a cell is shorthanded, the Supervisor or Plant Manager will ask you to fill a particular role. This may include Gluing, Sewing, Assembly, Upholstery, Webbing, Cutting or any other area under the Production umbrella at either of Keilhauer’s two facilities. You have a can-do attitude and get along well with others, so it is easy for you to join any team and be a positive contributor. You are knowledgeable about various hand tools as well as quality expectations, and strive to perform all tasks to the highest quality standards.
This role is best suited to a dedicated, dependable team player with a strong aptitude for learning new skills. Keilhauer depends on your flexibility and skills in order to further our mission of making work comfortable for all.
- Works in any role necessary to ensure production of quality products on time
- Responds positively when assigned to a new team or position.
- Follows instructions on production or service orders, including the safe use of required tools.
- Assembles parts and fittings into sub-assemblies and installs using air, electric and hand tools.
- Measures and marks dimensions of parts to ensure a tight fit and a quality product.
- Adjusts, repairs, and re-works parts and assemblies to ensure proper operation.
- Open to learning new skills and pays attention to continuous improvement opportunities.
- Performs all tasks in keeping with Keilhauer’s safety and quality standards
- Understands the importance of high quality work in all areas, and performs quality checks on assembled parts.
- Reports any incidence of non-conformance or unacceptable quality on materials and components.
- Maintains company equipment and work areas in a clean and orderly manner; informs Cell Leader/Supervisor of issues.
- Follows all company and OSHA Safety regulations; works in a safe manner and uses personal protective equipment as instructed; reinforces housekeeping and Keilhauer’s core values.
- Previous experience in production, manufacturing or other related fields.
- Completion of high school or training/education from a vocational/trade school is an asset.
- General knowledge of hand tools and their use.
- Ability to handle physical workload.
Essential Physical and Intellectual Requirements
- Communication: Must be able to read and write in English; must be able to speak English or communicate in American Sign Language (ASL); must work well with others and communicate respectfully.
- Mobility: Must be able to perform physical activities (reaching, bending, pushing, pulling, stretching, lifting); must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time on a cement floor; must maneuver across a cement floor to access various areas of the production facility; may be required to perform work function at either Keilhauer location; may be required to help in other areas to meet business needs.
- Manual Dexterity & Coordination: Must have the strength, dexterity and coordination to regularly lift, grip and pull pieces up to 30 lbs.; use hands, wrists and fingers to manipulate various production pieces, grip and use various hand tools and machinery; may be required to use foot for treadle.
- Vision: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, colour vision and depth perception; must be able to visually inspect and evaluate the quality of work.
- Cognitive Ability: Must have the ability to read and interpret work guidelines, safety instructions and operating manuals; must possess general knowledge of hand and air tools; must have the ability to learn new skills; may be required to work on multiple tasks in a single day; must use common sense and be able to carry out written and/or oral instructions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee spends 100% of their time in the production plant environment, where they may be exposed to airborne dust particles and noise. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- May be required to work at either Keilhauer location and help with other functional areas as the need arises.
- Must be capable of multi-tasking and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment, as required (ex. ear plugs, safety shoes).
- Must maintain a sense of urgency under tight deadlines.
- Must be willing to participate in training relevant to the position or industry.
- May occasionally be required to work overtime to meet business needs.
- Follows all company and OSHA Safety regulations; works in a safe manner, reinforces housekeeping and Keilhauer’s core values.
Keilhauer has mandated a COVID-19 vaccination policy in place. As of September 22, 2021, all present and future employees are required to provide proof of receiving all recommended doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine (or combination of approved COVID-19 vaccines) to Human Resources. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to employees who are unable to vaccinate for medical reasons.
- Remote interview process.
- Personal protective equipment provided or required.
- Daily screening of all employees.
- Social distancing guidelines in place.
- Virtual meetings when possible.
- Sanitizing, disinfecting and cleaning procedures in place.
Does This Role Sound Like A Fit?
Keilhauer is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive, respectful environment for all employees. Keilhauer is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities where possible.
If this role is for you, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (416) 759-5723 and tell us why you would be a great addition to our team! Please note that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.