Day in the Life:
This position is responsible for real estate accounting at HBC overseeing over 400 lease contracts. This role is responsible for the accounting of over 2.0 billion in assets and liabilities on the balance sheet. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, month end close and financial reporting activities, preparing timely forecasts to support the forecasting and planning team (FP&A), reviewing complex real estate agreements for accounting implications (US GAAP), and overseeing and leading the onshore and offshore real estate teams. This role will work closely with the real estate operations team, FP&A, external reporting, external auditors and property landlords etc.
What You Will Do:
- Lead month end close process for real estate accounting, ensuring all related entries are recorded, reviewed and approved on a timely basis and ensuring adherence to the compliance policy and best practices;
- Partner with real estate operations to provide finance and accounting support for day to day and ad hoc initiatives, and to obtain timely information to facilitate appropriate accounting (new leases, lease buy outs, subleases arrangements etc.);
- Manage the lease accounting system to ensure accuracy of data and coordinating to ensure appropriate control framework for internal/external audit purposes;
- Collaborate with FP&A to prepare detailed real estate plan for all HBC banners, forecasting occupancy and other related real estate cost, and supporting the analysis of actual results vs plan;
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance reviews;
- Review complex real estate agreements and determine their respective accounting implications to the financial statements (US GAAP)
- Point of contact for landlord audits and real estate related questions from external HBC auditors.
- Prepare intercompany leases entries and corresponding elimination entries for consolidation.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor Degree in Finance/Accounting or equivalent field of study
- Accounting Designation (Chartered Public Accountant – CPA (CA, CMA, CGA))
- 7+ years of work experience in public accounting and/or industry accounting
- Strong technical accounting skills, particularly with respect to lease accounting, with experience working with IFRS and/or US GAAP
- Experience with Oracle Fusion, Hyperion, AMT Leasing software would be an asset
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Associate discount including top brands
- Flexible work environment that allows for work-life balance