At Capital One, we don’t just hire people - we invest in them. We’ve worked hard to create and foster a culture that values people, collaboration, integrity, and respect for one another. We pride ourselves in being a place of opportunity that empowers our team of disruptors, dreamers, and doers. And we’re not your typical bank; we’re on a mission to change banking for good by bringing ingenuity, simplicity and humanity to the work we do. Antiquated legacy platforms have no place here; we’re building a leading information-based technology company where you’ll be partnering with other talented people across the organization on complex projects, contributing to the value we deliver every day. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit, and we succeed only when they do.
We are seeking an exceptional UX Research Manager to join our Experience Design XD team. Our team is at the forefront of enriching our customers’ digital experiences and represents the voice of our customers. We champion a thriving environment of collaboration, authenticity and healthy critique, in which we honour the diversity of thought, create a culture of belonging, and elevate one another.
- You have exceptional leadership and research skills, and understand how research translates into design and product decisions
- You’re an innovator and storyteller who embraces an environment where you can experiment, learn, and change banking for good
- You believe it’s not enough to answer interesting questions about user behaviour - you want to focus on making a true impact
- You have experience building teams over time through hiring, growing, and retaining high-performing researchers
- You have a proven track record of managing across different research methodologies, and conducting primary research end-to-end
- Build, manage and lead a team of world-class UX Researchers, covering a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods including ethnographic field studies, diary studies, empathy interviews, concept tests, remote usability studies, surveys and other research techniques.
- Work cross-functionally with marketing, creative, product and tech to prioritize, plan, and deliver on research initiatives.
- Lead the team in user research to influence product and design and the iteration of designs by pinpointing key data points from testing, reviews, etc.
- Demonstrable ability to select the most appropriate methodology to uncover both product strategy-level questions as well as usability issues, and, where necessary, to adopt the appropriate method or to define new research methods
- Advocate for the customer through human-centred design methods.
- Define standards and best practices for how research is done in a non-centralized research model
- Present and communicate research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations in engaging and useful formats’
- Actively monitor and analyze research, data, and trends from internal sources, academic research, and industry published reports to inform and improve our research methods
- Influence and educate on the importance of design research to product teams new to design research methods in order to help them integrate real users into their design life cycle
- Build and manage successful teams through career development by mentoring, coaching and elevating others
- An ability to balance hands-on practice with stepping back to let your team of researchers grow and develop their skills as researchers
- Guide team members in strategy, research, alignment and analysis
- Lead the team in creating templates and guidelines, best practices, and research documentation to facilitate a growing research team’s work
- Navigate conflict resolution within your team as well as within projects, teams and partner relationships
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in HCI/UX, Social Science, Psychology, Research, or other related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience leading research teams
- 5+ years of UX experience in full lifecycle research and inspection methods, from ethnography all the way to statistically based user testing
- 5+ years of experience with design thinking and agile methodologies
- 5+ years of experience leading large bodies of work and research strategy
- 5+ years of experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research and delivering actionable insights to leadership
- 5+ years of experience working on consumer and mobile products
- 5+ years of experience working with a variety of business partners and delivering outcomes
Capital One is adopting a flexible hybrid working model - one that creates the opportunity to match the work that we do to the environment that best supports that work. We recognize that everyone has a unique working pattern so we’re open to discussing flexible working arrangements that will best accommodate you.
At Capital One Canada the health and safety of our associates, customers and communities are our highest priorities and as a result, our offices are currently closed. When and how we transition from virtual to a flexible hybrid will be guided by local government and health authority guidance.