HOOPP’s IT division pushes beyond corporate technological norms to bring our members, our Fund and our enterprise the most innovative, efficient, and secure solutions. We support one of the best pension funds in the world, and we need people who are passionate and up for a challenge.
Our IT Corporate Solutions Group (CSG) is looking for an experienced individual who can fill a permanent, fulltime Senior DevOps Engineer, Disaster Recovery role. This highly collaborative role is responsible for Backups and Disaster Recovery, supporting CSG’s app dev teams in delivering Business Continuity and Resiliency to CSG’s business stakeholders.
As a senior technical resource within CSG’s Agile Corporate team (IT4C) responsibilities include backups; DR platform support; support for teams to ensure they implement and adhere to HOOPP’s disaster recovery policies; as well as playing a senior role in other IT4C DevOps activities beyond backup and recovery. These include management, cost optimization and monitoring of cloud infrastructure and services, applications, and network support; DB Administration; continuous improvement of corporate DevOps practices; and stakeholder relationship management.
- innovative, motivated and a quick thinker
- driven to be a trusted and valued contributor/partner
- collaborative and a strong team player, adept at building relationships
- able to thrive under pressure and pivot easily to adapt to change, based on business needs
- passionate about “moving the needle,” being a change agent and an influencer of growth
- satisfied in seeing your team’s ideas and dreams become reality to support the business’s objectives and mission of delivering the pension promise to our members.
Why you will love working with CSG:
- We are a valued part of the IT division that is foundational to HOOPP’s daily operations.
- We ensure the organization leverages the most effective cloud-based technology and software to allow cross-team collaboration while working in the office or remotely.
- We are responsible for supporting HOOPP’s divisions with strategic, configurable, and innovative solutions to solve business issues and enhance operational efficiencies.
- We are a hybrid work force, with our teams working remotely and onsite. We offer a hybrid flexible work model that embraces remote work in Ontario for eligible roles.
- Our efficiency, focus and hard work is complimented with a social and enthusiastic attitude.
- We are a diverse group of people and that is one of our greatest strengths. We are animal lovers, golfers, mountain bikers, hikers, amateur chefs and foodies, parents and game board enthusiasts. We are collegial and enjoy each other’s company. We push each other to be our best selves and we can’t wait to expand our work family.
Why you’ll love working at HOOPP:
- Help us deliver on our pension promise – You’ll be helping take care of 400,000 Ontario healthcare workers, who take care of us every day. At HOOPP, we have one goal and that is to provide our members with a secure retirement income for life.
- Be part of a high-performance culture that reflects our core values and celebrates diversity and inclusion – Our core values: professional, accountable, compassionate, collaborative and trustworthy, unite our employees and drive how we approach our work. We embrace equity and diversity and foster an inclusive environment so all our employees can thrive.
- Fun! Work hard and play hard. Our teams are passionate about what they do and the impact they’re making – and we work hard for it. We also know how to let loose and have fun!
- Robust benefits package for your overall well-being – You will have access to our world-class defined benefit pension, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits, annual wellness program for reimbursement of health and wellness related expenses, and virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes.
What you will do:
- Actively participate in Agile Scrum practices such as daily standups, backlog refinement, planning and sprint retrospectives.
- Create a safe, supportive and participatory environment that produces ongoing mutual respect
- Play a lead role in delivering backup and DR solutions for new and existing features supporting and collaborating with our app dev, platform and infrastructure teams. This includes leadership and orchestration across multiple teams.
- Monitor operations of daily backups
- Assess, adapt and evolve operational strategies for DR, BC and application resilience.
- Partner with DR/BC leads in the IT4Enterprise and Governance & Risk teams.
- Educate peers & stakeholders who will use these solutions and mitigate potential issues.
- Monitor and support of cloud infrastructure, applications, services and network.
- Lead design and planning meetings, write wiki articles and participate in issue and team retrospectives. Ask powerful questions, create awareness and guide individuals and groups in exploring options and deciding what to do.
- Learn our technical infrastructure through operational support activities.
- Resolve complex production issues spanning multiple systems and technologies.
- Develop contingency plans in case of infrastructure failure or service interruption.
- Evaluate, recommend, and apply new concepts and technologies.
- Continuously improve corporate DevOps practices and drive automation.
- Formulate and update solution standards and policies
- Work with internal teams and vendors
- Provide and participate in team training
- Participate in the off-hours on-call rotation. Our off-hours support volume is very light, and we put in the effort to keep it that way.
Who you are:
- 7+ years’ experience in Operations in progressively more senior roles
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent diploma program in Business, Computer Science, Information Management or related.
- 5+years’ experience in setting up general application backup and recovery and operations
- Technical writing and diagramming skills
- Knowledge of service and hosting solutions in a private/public cloud using IaaS, PaaS and SaaS platforms and their integrations.
- Knowledge of Disaster Recover technologies such as Commvault, MS 365 backups, Azure Backup, Iron Mountain (or comparable technologies).
- Knowledge of Enterprise and Cloud Technology, specifically Microsoft Azure backup services.
- Knowledge of the various techniques for meeting Recovery Time Objectives (RTO) and Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) in the cloud, based on application criticality.
- Knowledge Database consistency & duplication. Cloud based SQL Azure or AWS RDS SQL
- Knowledge of configuration management and automation tools such as Ansible, Terraform or Puppet provisioning services for provisioning and recovery of application/cloud workloads.
- Experience with databases and SQL (MS SQL, Cosmos DB and related technologies).
- General understanding of cloud networking principles, vulnerability management controls, and identity services (Azure AD preferred)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to take end-to-end ownership.
- Hold relevant industry certifications (including, but not limited to):
- Azure / AWS Certified
- DRII CBCP
- BCI CBCI
Notice for job applicants
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.