Join the team that evolves Ontario’s electricity markets to deliver efficiencies. The IESO is looking for experienced candidates from diverse backgrounds with strong analytical and communication skills. The successful candidate will be a key contributor to a wide range of initiatives that analyze, design, improve, and evolve the wholesale electricity market. Initiatives include enabling new technologies, continuously improving electricity market design, and supporting the organization with analytical, economic, financial, and commercial expertise.
What you’ll do
- Conduct studies on developments and trends in electricity and other energy markets, provide advice to management on the relevance of such to the Ontario electricity market in the form of reports, presentations, review and study results.
- Assess and link short-term analysis to long term strategies; consider whether short-term goals will meet long term market development objectives.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in market theory and in current or proposed methods for energy/electricity trade. Peruse academic, technical and financial reports, studies, books, journals etc. dealing with various aspects of energy markets. Keep abreast of technological developments and best practices in the industry as they apply to electricity markets.
- Prepare contingency plans for problems and situations that might occur, and propose a course of action to accomplish long term goals.
- Participate in projects related to market development initiatives. This may include working closely with external consultants retained for the same.
- Analyze and review market development plans with the OEB and government agencies.
- Review and analyze input from Compliance Section and Market Assessment Units and incorporate findings into market development plans.
- Coordinate and align market development plans with the IESO business development plans.
- Review regulatory decisions both abroad and in Ontario to determine possible implications on Ontario electricity market. Synthesize and propose to incorporate any possible implications into the market development plans.
- Represent the Division or the IESO, as assigned, on committees, task forces and in various forums. Make presentations concerning methods, results or analytical studies pertaining to market development plan to internal and external groups, as needed.
What you need to succeed
- Academic training in business, commerce, engineering, and economics at a level to understand and apply the technical/economical legislative parameters governing the energy industry and market place.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral, in order to develop strategies, communicate and effectively interface with all contacts involved in accomplishing the work objectives.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the successful completion of a 4-year university degree, or equivalent.
- A background in the utility business to become familiar with the inherent factors and problems influencing the energy industry.
- A background that allows for broad thinking and high analytical and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the review of vast amounts of information, breaking it down, prioritizing and synthesizing several related trends to determine relevant impact within and outside Ontario.
- Experience in building relationships, strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- A period of over 8 years and up is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- A commitment to demonstrate the behaviours that exemplify the IESO’s core values and form the basis of our shared culture
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.