The external managers program provides HOOPP with an attractive & diversifying return-to-risk profile that complements HOOPP’s internal trading program. The mandate involves direct and managed account long-term investments. External investments provide exposure to a wide range of strategies and asset classes, including equities, credit, interest rates, currencies and commodities. This mandate is an integral part of HOOPPs alpha platform and leverages the expertise of many investment teams and departments within HOOPP.
The Senior Portfolio Manager will be reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Derivatives and Fixed Income.
What you will do:
- Lead the design, manage and continue to build the External Managers strategy.
- Review the overall portfolio, evaluate return-to-risk targets and alignment with HOOPPs goals.
- Develop a strategic risk-taking and portfolio construction framework to optimize the mandate within HOOPP.
- Monitor and ensure individual manager performance is adherent to stated style and strategy.
- Identify investment opportunities, key drivers of risk, conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis, recommend investments, negotiate terms and execute investment recommendations for traditional, alternative and innovative external managers.
- Collaborate with internal investments teams, operational, legal and tax teams to derive strategic value from partnerships.
- Stay abreast of investment, operational, legal, tax, and risk developments relating to external managers.
- Be a key contributor to HOOPPs innovation platform.
- Manage investment relationships throughout their lifecycle.
- Perform other duties, as requested.
What you bring:
- MBA with concentration in investments or finance is preferred.
- CPA and CFA or other relevant investment-related designations (e.g. CAIA).
- University education with a minimum post-graduate degree in finance, commerce, business, mathematics, science, engineering, accounting or other quantitative discipline.
- Minimum 5 years’ work experience with a strong knowledge of the hedge fund industry relating to hedge fund strategies, private assets, investment strategies, financial instruments, internal controls, risk management, portfolio construction, operational due diligence and investment regulations.
- Available for travel for on-site reviews and industry events – expected travel is approximately 2-5 trips per year.
- Solid understanding of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Exceptional attention to detail with highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, and excellent English - written and verbal.
- Strong time management, organizational skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- High degree of professionalism combined with the ability to readily adapt to a rapidly changing investment landscape.
- Collaborative team player who enjoys high performance culture.
- Flexible with constantly evolving priorities and open to new challenges.
- Strong work ethic, initiative and integrity.