Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The Market Renewal Program (MRP) is a transformative project focused on enhancing the way electricity is priced and scheduled, in order to meet Ontario’s needs reliably, transparently, efficiently and at lowest cost. MRP is a key contributor to the IESO’s core strategy that will evolve processes, practices and tools across the organization. Overall alignment and sound integration between new and existing processes and tools is critical to the MRP’s and the IESO’s long-term success.
As a subject matter expert in the underlying data used to support market and system tools, procedures and analysis, the successful candidate will have opportunities to support various project deliverables and work collaboratively with other project teams in a cross-functional environment.
What you’ll do
During the implementation phase of Market Renewal, the successful candidate will develop a sound understanding of how the IESO will execute its future business activities from market entry to market operations to market settlements. The successful candidate will also develop greater awareness of the IESO’s project management lifecycle and change management processes. The successful candidate will gain this exposure by supporting the following MRP implementation phase activities:
- Prepare, transform and/or support migration of data requirements for new and existing tools that support the future process changes across multiple IESO business units.
- Testing the systems that rely on the aforementioned data to ensure they meet functional expectations and integrate seamlessly with upstream and downstream applications across multiple IESO business units.
- Preparing IESO employees and market participants for change by developing and presenting educational materials, attending Q&A sessions, and supporting the development of market rules, market manuals and internal procedures.
- Working closely with team members from the Replacement of Settlement System (RSS) project to ensure interoperability between registration systems, market systems and settlement systems
- Providing input and assistance to the project management team for development, review and refinement of the transition plan for migrating data from current system to future systems.
The analyst shall support the development and documentation of changes that accommodate the Market Renewal design, while considering their impacts to existing data structures and support procedures. The successful applicant shall evaluate data transitioning, analysis, and reporting options, identifying possible pros and cons and implications on other MRP activities. They shall identify any material risks or implementation challenges that are likely to be raised internally or externally. If further information is required, they will seek out the necessary sources within the company or from expert consultants.
The following is a list of responsibilities associated with the role of an Analyst – Operational Assessments /Market and Technology Integration within the Markets and Reliability business unit and are included to provide the type of experience that would be required when performing project related activities noted above.
- Assist in development of appropriate processes and tools, including end user computing (EUC) tools, to support Operations activities.
- Contribute to business process documentation, including procedural or operating instructions for Operations activities. Ensure that the documentation is consistent with IESO and NERC standards, NPCC criteria, the market rules, and other relevant government regulations and industry standards.
- Assist in coordination of integration of emerging technologies/new market design into IESO operations
- Liaise with Operations staff to understand issues with the performance of existing operational tools and processes, and follow-up with relevant groups including Information Technology (IT) to facilitate their resolution.
- Assist in developing end user computing tools as necessary to support Operations tasks, including operation of the IESO controlled grid and operation of the IESO administered markets.
- Assist senior department staff in assessing the effectiveness of new programs and potential solutions to address operational and market inefficiencies in coordination with SMEs from other business units.
- Support senior department staff in performing analysis by gathering and screening data, providing input where appropriate, and drafting related materials as assigned.
- Prepare materials for meetings, reports and presentations made by senior operations staff.
What you need to succeed
- Engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics, computer science, economics and/or other specialty related courses to undertake engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the management and control of the bulk power system.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of a four-year university education in an appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education.
- Exceptional computer experience including exposure to statistical and database software, desktop software applications, computer data conversion, various PC-based query and calculation tools, and computer system interfaces.
- Excellent facility in written and oral communications, including the ability to prepare effective documentation, recommendations and reports.
Nice to have
- Exposure to the overall power system operation and basic understanding of the IESO-Administered Markets, their operation and the characteristic of the interconnected systems to support the activities of the IESO.
- Research and analysis experience where information is drawn from a variety of sources and multiple alternatives are considered. The criteria for assessing the practicability of such solutions should be based on the optimum combination of technical and economic considerations.
- Knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports and data analysis to conduct quantitative assessments.
- Experience in applying, testing and considering the merits of alternatives.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with multiple stakeholders including customers.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
What’s in it for you
• A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
• A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
• Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
• The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Deadline: August 4, 2022
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.