The Transmission Planning Engineer will be responsible for carrying out transmission planning activities to develop plans and conduct studies to ensure the reliable performance of the electricity transmission system in Ontario. These plans and studies will form the basis for capital investments decisions, regulatory approvals and the development of commercial agreements to provide new transmission facilities and supply resources in Ontario.
What you’ll do
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of plans and planning products related to the electricity transmission system. These plans and planning products include: bulk transmission plans, regional plans (e.g., IRRPs), and/or special purpose plans related to ensuring reliable performance of the electricity transmission system.
- Project manage the development of plans and planning products, including: documenting plan objectives, outcomes, deliverables, milestones, and setting the schedule/time lines.
- Build and maintain a familiarity with the tools and models commonly used to conduct transmission system assessments and analysis, including load flow simulation tools, economic evaluation tools, risk evaluation tools, electricity resource modeling tools, etc., including an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of these tools.
- Participate in economic evaluation of different options for meeting reliability needs as a transmission planning subject matter expert.
- Participate in stakeholder engagements, community engagements and/or consultations on planning matters, including occasionally acting as a subject matter expert on transmission planning matters and on specific plans and planning products.
- Liaise with government staff, Ontario Energy Board staff, and other sector agencies on planning matters, policy development and analysis, and joint initiatives, as required.
- Research and monitor development of municipal, regional, provincial, and/or federal laws and policies, including land use plans, growth plans, energy plans or targets, or other related policies or plans that have potential to influence electricity transmission needs, solutions, or opportunities within the scope of transmission plans.
- Prepare, and/or contribute to the preparation of, reports, briefs, written submissions, and/or information related to transmission plans and planning matters for IESO management and leadership, regulatory processes, stakeholder engagement and inquiries, and other proceedings.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of the state-of-the-art on transmission technologies, best-practices related to transmission planning and integrated resource planning, and assist in bringing relevant external trends and practices to IESO’s planning.
- Participate in, or occasionally lead, the IESO’s participation in external industry forums, (e.g. joint studies, planning, and regulatory proceedings).
What you need to succeed
- Requires a license to engage in the practice of professional engineering in Ontario and be competent in the field of electrical engineering.
- A period of over 6 years, and up to and including 8 years, is considered necessary to gain this experience, in the field of power system planning or operations.
- Work is frequently beyond the scope of past practice or precedent. Requires the development and testing of new methods of approach, and alternative solutions, work techniques and standards. There are likely to be numerous unknown factors, and likely to be a number of alternative solutions available.
- An ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders to achieve agreement or solve problems, and to develop and maintain relationships with local distribution companies, utilities inside and outside of Canada, Governments, government agencies, municipalities, and Indigenous Communities
- A commitment to demonstrate the behaviours that exemplify the IESO’s core values and form the basis of our shared culture
What’s in it for you
• A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
• A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
• Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
• The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Deadline: August 16, 2022
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.