At RSM, we love to be told that something is impossible. We constantly seek to innovate and pride ourselves on our ability to find unique, creative solutions to complex business problems. Our innovative, strategic approach rests on the knowledge, experience, and imagination of our creative, entrepreneurially-minded colleagues. We often bring together professionals from various areas of our firm to brainstorm ideas about a problem: as a result, we have a reputation for uncovering the possibilities in seemingly impossible situations.
The Actuarial Services practice is just one of many consulting services groups that form part of RSM Canada’s consulting line of business. A career within Actuarial Services will provide you with the opportunity to contribute insurance, risk advisory, and consulting services to clients in variety of industries including insurance, financial services, not-for-profit, government, and many more. You will have the opportunity to provide advice covering traditional actuarial services, risk and financial modeling software, enterprise risk management, insurance management, capital and financial modeling, process risk and controls, data analytics, and insurance transformation projects. Simply put, you will consistently strive to provide economic and financial value optimization for our clients and their customers using risk management and insurance strategies and techniques. The position is open to candidates in Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Montreal, Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, and Vancouver.
As a Senior Associate in the Actuarial Service practice, you will work as part of a team of problem solvers, helping to solve complex business issues from strategy to execution, and contribute to the overall growth of the practice.
Professional skills and responsibilities for this level include the following:
Support client relationship management and support the execution of core actuarial services, including but not limited to:
- Data collection, reconciliation, and analytics
- Actuarial pricing and reserving analyses
- Financial condition testing and economic capital modeling
- Actuarial reports, presentations, and dashboards
- Actuarial model development, governance and controls
- Support client strategy and support the development of new business, including but not limited to:
- Developing forecasts and business cases
- Preparing and reviewing client letters, proposals, and presentations
- Maintaining and analyzing client databases
- Performing market research and preparing industry presentations
- Analyze complex ideas and incorporate broader stakeholder views to develop meaningful solutions and recommendations.
- Pursue opportunities to develop existing and new skills outside of your comfort zone.
- Focus on building trusted relationships with our clients and your colleagues.
- Develop a perspective on key industry trends, and how they impact the firm and our clients.
- Coach others and encourage them to take ownership of their development.
- Maintain high standards of work and act to resolve issues that prevent effective teamwork, even during times of change and uncertainty.
The successful candidate should meet the following requirements:
- University degree in Actuarial Science, Statistics, Mathematics or similar
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience
- Active working toward Fellowship of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries (FCIA) and Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS)
- Experience in P&C insurance pricing, reserving, data analytics, risk management, financial reporting, capital modeling and/or stress testing
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and attain deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Additional characteristics of the ideal candidate would also include:
- Client-service driven and confident in their abilities and judgment
- Solutions-oriented with keen attention to detail and analytical ability
- Self-motivated, accountable and able to work with minimal direction and/or supervision
- Able to work as an integral part of a team and share their unique strengths in a collaborative manner to achieve common goals
- Keen to understand and learn innovative concepts and practices
- Previous work experience and strong knowledge of actuarial reserving software an asset (Arius, ResQ)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint)
- Previous work experience with SQL, Visual Basic, R, Python, or Tableau considered an asset
- Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written
- French language skills, both verbal and written, considered an asset