LifeLabs is the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada, serving the healthcare needs of Canadians for over 50 years. Our team members are truly centred around our customers, and we know that behind every lab requisition, sample being tested, or investment in technology is an individual and their family counting on us.
Consistently named one of Canada's Best Employers by Forbes, LifeLabs has also been recognized for having an award-winning Mental Health Program from Benefits Canada. The passion and commitment of over 6,000 diverse and innovative team members unites and motivates us to ensure our customers receive high quality tests and results that they can trust. Agile, customer-centred, caring and teamwork: we live these values every day in what we do to support our customers and healthcare providers, driving forward our vision of empowering a healthier you.
Make a difference – join the LifeLabs team today!
Report To: Manager, Human Resources
Purpose of the Role: To provide HR consulting services and support the implementation of HR policies, programs and practices that enable managers and employees to achieve their business objectives and sustain an engaged workforce.
- Work in conjunction with Centers of Excellence in implementing and maintaining national HR programs and processes in the area of Talent and Succession planning, performance management (Employee Relations and Labour Relations), organizational design, harassment), attendance management, HR policies, orientation, employment equity, employee engagement, Employee Council.
- Monitor changes with ESA, MOL, legal environment and Human Rights and recommend revisions to ensure policies and programs meet regulatory requirements.
- Research/gather and analyze data (such as feedback from employee council/union meetings, feedback regarding programs and policies, and trending on KPIs) to recommend enhancement of existing policies or development of new policies.
- Research best practices and provide recommendations to support program & policy design.
- Provide day to day consulting support to managers and employees in assigned client groups to assist them in achieving business goals and objectives.
- Assist managers and employees to effectively apply HR policies and programs to ensure consistency in interpretation and application.
- Acts as resource for client groups on performance review process, up to and including managing terminations and assisting with calibrations and responding to general questions etc.
- Participate in implementing organizational change initiatives such as acquisitions, closures, automation, process changes etc., and participate on other cross function teams and projects as required.
- Provide support and guidance to client groups in implementing employee engagement action plans.
- Participate in Business and/or Operations Management Team meetings and proactively provide advice and the People context for business decisions.
- Provide advice and counsel on recruitment practices and conducting exit interviews.
- Monitor, track and summarize HR metrics, including collecting and analyzing data for trends, and providing recommendations.
- Partner with Disability Management Consultant, EHS Coordinator, and functional manager to support return to work and workplace accommodations.
- Partner with Centres of Excellence as needed.
- Provide coaching and guidance to client groups to assist in resolving full cycle employee relations/Labour relations issues (i.e. consistent interpretation and application of performance management policy and program, or CBA with unionized workforce).
- Educate leadership teams on effective coaching, including advising on when to move into progressive discipline and requirements under CBA.
- investigate and report on allegations of harassment, discrimination and violence, and make recommendations to management based on findings.
Minimum Qualification and Skills
- University or College diploma in Human Resources/Business Administration or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years progressively responsible experience in human resources in a unionized setting
- Member of HRPA/BC HRMA is an asset
- CHRP designation is an asset
- Understanding of HR governance, legislation, and regulatory environment in order to identify issues, build programs and appropriately advise managers and employees
- A call center experience would be an asset
- Demonstrated business acumen and consultative skills
- Problem solving skills, ability to determine root cause of complex issues and arrive at sound HR/Business solutions.
- Strong leadership, coaching, facilitation skills
- Strong investigation and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent written and oral communication, negotiation, client relationships, organizational, leadership and project management skills
- Strong communication and influencing skills to effectively communicate complex legal issues and effect change
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting and providing advice to management on the collective agreement
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with all stakeholders including managers, employees and union representatives