This role is responsible for supporting Kinross’ budgeting process, including assisting with the preparation of consolidated budgets and forecasts, analysis to support the validity of budget/forecast results, analysis of actual results against budget and other ad hoc analysis.
The role will work closely with the Financial Reporting and Operations Strategy groups to ensure the timely and accurate flow of information from the sites and regions, and the effective and efficient communication of results.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Contributes to the preparation of consolidated budgets and forecasts by working with the regions and sites to ensure submissions are timely and complete.
- Maintains the consolidated budget and forecast models.
- Prepares analysis of budget and forecast results.
- Contributes to the preparation of budget and forecast presentations to senior management.
- Contributes to the input and review of budget data in the company’s financial systems.
- Prepares analysis for purposes of setting external public guidance.
Internal and External Reporting
- Manages and communicates the weekly tracker of production estimates for all regions.
- Prepares and consolidates monthly reporting and analysis for internal distribution, including working with regional and site personnel to obtain an understanding of results.
- Participates in the presentation of monthly reporting and analysis to senior management.
- Provides analyses to support the preparation of the MD&A by the Financial Reporting team and the review of the MD&A by the company’s external auditors.
- Prepares analysis for inclusion in reports to the Senior Leadership Team, Audit Committee, and/or Board.
- Provides support to the Investor Relations and Corporate Communications teams by preparing and/or reviewing information to be utilized both internally and externally.
- Supports Site Finance departments as it relates to budgeting and forecasting, monthly and quarterly reporting, application of corporate policies, processes and controls and other finance-related issues.
- Contributes to the development of new processes and procedures where needed, including identifying and acting on gaps and opportunities for improvements in current processes and controls.
- Prepares material to assess operating site performance against a balanced scorecard of objectives.
- Contributes to non-routine projects and special initiatives within the Finance team.
- Supports capital management processes, including the preparation of various ad hoc capital-related analyses and reports.
- Actively seeks mentorship and learning to improve technical knowledge and skillset.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate university degree
- Working towards a professional accounting designation or comparable financial training (e.g. CFA,)
- CPA designation a strong asset
- 2 - 4 years of related work experience or equivalent
- Resource sector experience preferred
- Experience with financial modelling an asset
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and take ownership
- Ability to organize and prioritize job duties
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to work the flexible hours required to meet deadlines
- Flexibility to undertake a variety of assignments
- Ability to understand financial relationships/modelling
- Basic understanding of accounting
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Power Point, and Word
- Ability to read and understand operational policies
- Strong attention to detail