The Data Product Owner (DPO) is responsible for understanding the needs of the business supported by their platforms and systems, translating those needs into a strategic technology/product roadmap, effectively prioritizing the backlog of work required to maximize value of the technology/product to their customer and accepts the deployment of these deliverables into production.
Advocates for the customer and end user and is ultimately accountable for the product produced.
Uses a systematic and scientific approach to assess and continuously improve the fit of existing and new platform solutions in meeting customer needs and provides on-going platform/product management throughout the platform/product lifecycle including retirement of solutions.
Collaborates effectively with a wide range of EDC employees and external business and technology stakeholders, understanding dependencies across stakeholders in order to properly coordinate and deliver platform results that fit with customer and end user expectations.
Maintains a strong relationship with their stakeholders and business sponsor, demonstrating a strong understanding of business priorities and aligns investments that are both sustainable and will drive a clear ROI in direct support of those priorities.
Participates in a culture of continuous improvement using Lean/Agile approaches and is ultimately accountable for decisions regarding priority, business value, and functionality for all the work done by the Agile development team. Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
- Develop Product vision, Operational Key Responsibilities (OKRs) and synchronize them with the Family. Communicate these clearly and effectively with stakeholders
- Define the business value and develop business cases for the Product and support messaging, communication and customer outreach as necessary
- Build relationships with Business/IT stakeholders regularly to gather feedback and refine the future of the Product factoring in business priority, pacing, risk, funding and scope parameters
- Scope the Minimal Viable Product (MVP) considering existing resource constraints and sustained product development
- Build Product Backlog (user stories), prioritize the backlog based on business value, and continuously keep the backlog up to date
- Identify and raise dependencies and roadblocks to Family PO, Architecture Owners (AOs) with support of the Scrum Master and help resolve them if needed.
- Collaborate with AOs and support the optimization of technology debt for the squad - ensure the stories addressing technical debt are prioritized
- Collaborate with Tech Leads to define the technical roadmap for the Product
- Empower teams to be autonomous and self-organizing; does not micro-manage and role models servant leadership by helping to remove impediments to accelerate teams
- Ensure team members understand the stories in the backlog and the business value they deliver
- Conduct/ participate in sprint events as needed and work to support the team on a daily basis
- Accept sprint results and ensure the appropriate stakeholders are involved
- Own defined set of business Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the Squad
- Manage tracking, forecasting, variance monitoring of funding for the Squad
- Provide functional onboarding for new team members
- Consistently represents the voice of the customer in platform discussions and decisions, taking a data driven approach to choice making.
- Drives the execution of data technology platforms lifecycle management activity and ITIL process for squad
- Monitors platform risk exposure, able to steer new platform/product choices through internal risk review and authorization processes.
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or Engineering; Management Information Systems or relevant discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience including but not limited to Product design, business analyst roles, product owner/product management and/or product development, solution delivery
- Proven product management experience in one or more of the following data technology domains: Business Intelligence, Machine Learning, Relational Database Management Systems, Cloud Engineering for Data Platforms
- 5+ years of experience with ITIL practices in data technology operations
- Experience with License Management and Lifecycle Management activities related to data technologies
- Experience with deployment orchestration and configuration management tools using Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) practices
- Demonstrating experience in developing business value through technology
- Ability to demonstrate solid understanding of Agile practices
- Scrum Alliance or SAFe certification is an asset
- CSPO Certification or other in relation with Product Owner or Product Management
- Demonstrated Agile methodology and tools
- Knowledge of key data technologies such as PowerBI, SAS Viya, Denodo, Azure Synapse, SQL Server/Oracle RDBMS, Azure Databricks, Cognos, Azure Data Lake or other emerging data technologies
- Direct experience with Microsoft Azure and its relevant build, deployment, automation, networking, and security technologies in cloud and hybrid environments
- Bilingualism in both official languages (English and French)
Salary Range #LI-Hybrid
- $89,300 - $133,600, plus performance-based incentive
- Please be advised that this position is hybrid and based at our Head Office in Ottawa. Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.