- Full-Time, Permanent Position
- 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday
- Winner of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2022 and BC’s Top Employer 2022!
The GVFB is a proud winner of two prestigious awards: Canada’s Top100 Employers 2022 and BC’s Top Employers 2022! Recognized for our resilience during the Covid-19 pandemic and how our response was immediate, with the health and safety of our employees as the top priority. In addition to offering an exceptional workplace for our employees and providing the most progressive and forward-thinking programs.
The GVFB is a certified Living Wage Employer! This recognizes the GVFB’s commitment to paying fair wages, upholding good work standards for our employees and contributing to poverty reduction and a higher standard of living in our community.
Come and enjoy working in an award-winning workplace! We provide a modern and inclusive office environment, with excellent Skytrain accessibility and free parking. Our competitive benefit plans for this position include: extended healthcare and dental, 3 weeks accrued vacation leave, a Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan where employees are match up to 7% of their contributions. Your birthday and two personal days are additional paid days off.
- Professional Growth – $1,500 to spend towards professional development courses.
- Financial Growth – competitive salary and excellent perks.
- Personal Growth– employees can use up to half of their professional development funds towards wellness initiatives.
The Sort Coordinator supervises large corporate groups and daily regular volunteers in all functional areas of Food Sort within the warehouse. They are responsible for overseeing fresh, dry food sort. This also includes outbound fulfillment areas such as our Winston Distribution, and Community Partner Agencies, distribution. Utilizing our increased storage capacity and efficient food sort space, they provide an essential service to our purchased food programs.
- Manage, assign and review work for volunteers engaged in food sort functional areas;
- Ensure functional areas are kept clean, tidy and organized at all times;
- Accommodating special events i.e. open house and media visits;
- Provide input and expertise for implementation of the fresh, dry, frozen food and, update annually or as directed;
- Pick orders for Re-Feed allotments, CAPS and other Distributions locations as required;
- With direction from the Operations Manager be accountable and responsible in areas including Fresh and Dry Sort, outbound area fulfillment, Front of House, Agency Cooler, Freezer, bulk shelves, Winston and kitchen equipment shelves and ensure fresh food is allocated appropriately;
- Ensure, maintain and update accurate signage for sort function areas as well as the fulfillment of pallets, carts and boxes with periodic changes and improvements to increase accuracy;
- Post and update all CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) recalls appropriate to BC and class 1-2 recalls excluding allergies;
- Organize program and project areas making sure stock levels or needs are communicated to Warehouse, Operations Manager and supporting staff;
- Purchase and manage all supplies needed for operations;
- Use volunteer management software ‘Better Impact’ to track volunteers; promote further engagement with the GVFB volunteer base;
- Communicate daily with volunteers and staff via e-mail, slack, phone and text message;
- Conduct orientation/training for groups of up to 20 volunteers.
- Flexibility around work hours, to include evenings and weekends as required, shifts may be subject to change.
Personal attributes and core skills
- Excellent communication skillset (both written and verbal, able to communicate effectively with all levels of operations and staff;
- Strong time management skills, be able to prioritize a busy workload;
- Proven team building skills, able to effectively provide direction to others;
- Strong conflict resolution skills and diplomacy;
- Be comfortable in speaking in front of and leading groups of up to 20 people.
Qualifications and experience
- Previous experience in warehouse environments;
- Experience using industrial pallet Jacks in racked warehouse facilities advantageous;
- Knowledge of Microsoft word and outlook;
- Experience working in high-volume, fast-paced environments.
- Exposure to ambient temperatures and noisy conditions;
- Proper safety footwear required;
- The ability to work in a physically demanding environment, lifting, walking and standing throughout the shift;
- Bending and lifting boxes up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Due to high volume applications, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.