- Full-Time, Permanent Position
- 37.5 hours per week, Tuesday to Saturday
- Winner of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2022 and BC’s Top Employer 2022!
- 3-weeks’ vacation, Employer paid extended benefits, 7% RRSP matching and more!
The GVFB provides assistance to approximately 11,000 people monthly across Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. We also provide food support to more than 119 community agencies such as housing agencies, women and children’s shelters, transition homes and after school programs, which in turn provide hot meals and snacks to thousands of people each week, including people who are homeless.
Our mission is providing healthy food to those in need. Our vision is to create healthy communities through fair and effective food systems. Currently, the GVFB receives, purchases, and distributes 7.1M lbs of food each year.
The GVFB is a proud winner of two prestigious awards: Canada’s Top100 Employers 2022 and BC’s Top Employers 2022! Recognized for our resilience during the Covid-19 pandemic and how our response was immediate, with the health and safety of our employees as the top priority. In addition to offering an exceptional workplace for our employees and providing the most progressive and forward-thinking programs.
The GVFB is a certified Living Wage Employer! This recognizes the GVFB’s commitment to paying fair wages, upholding good work standards for our employees and contributing to poverty reduction and a higher standard of living in our community.
Come and enjoy working in an award-winning workplace! We provide a modern and inclusive office environment, with excellent Skytrain accessibility and free parking. Our competitive benefit plans for this position include: extended healthcare and dental, 3 weeks accrued vacation leave, a Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan where employees are match up to 7% of their contributions. Your birthday and two personal days are additional paid days off.
- Professional Growth – $1,500 to spend towards professional development courses.
- Personal Growth– employees can use up to half of their professional development funds towards Wellness initiatives.
- Financial Growth – competitive salary and excellent perks.
The Distribution Team Lead is an experienced community focused individual with the ability to lead and train a small team who are interacting closely with our clients whilst overseeing a daily group of volunteers. Working in a fast-paced environment with continued change, he/she ensures compliance with established organizational guidelines and procedures to provide high quality service and outstanding client care.
- Provide leadership, training of best practices, support and guidance to staff, volunteers and other departments;
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure efficient and effective processes;
- Collectively plan and organize the weeks when food is being distributed to clients and also the non-client facing weeks;
- Ensure functional areas are clean, tidy and organized at all times, floor is clear of pallets and obstacles at all times, ensuring safe pedestrian pathways;
- Lead the Distribution team and volunteers in following all processes and procedures, including site-specific best practices;
- Handle confidential and sensitive client information;
- Requisition of supplies and materials in accordance with the annual budget;
- Ensure departmental internal processes before, during and after distribution shifts are followed (accuracy of outbound and inbound orders; quality control of products);
- Ensure the monthly team schedule is created, updated and posted;
Personal attributes and core skills
- Ability to work with sensitivity and without discrimination towards people of diverse cultures, races/ethnicity, socio-economic positions, ages, religions, genders, physical/mental health challenges/disabilities and sexual orientations;
- Lead by example with integrity, build trust within the team and drive engagement and performance;
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail;
- Hands on and willing to roll up your sleeves;
- Resourceful, solution focused and good judgement skills;
- Communicate effectively with staff and volunteers at all levels of the organization;
- Strong and effective leadership skills, coaching with patience and tailoring coaching to individual learner styles;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (written/ oral), including active listening skills;
- Ability to motivate staff, volunteers and others;
- Friendly, supportive, authentic and collaborative team player;
- Ability to employ conflict resolution and diffusing skills as needed whilst gaining full knowledge of the situation at hand;
- Strong organizational skills and be able to adapt, thrive and multi-task within a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment;
- Be able to delegate tasks to individual team members;
- Excellent time management skills.
Qualifications and experience
- 1+ years’ experience working in community based customer service environments;
- 1+ years’ experience working in volunteer driven environments;
- Health and safety experience within the workplace advantageous;
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment;
- Public speaking experience and comfortable speaking in front of small groups.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
- Flexibility around work hours, to include evenings and weekends as required, shifts may be subject to change.
- Exposure to ambient temperatures and noisy conditions;
- Proper safety footwear required;
- The ability to work in a physically demanding environment, lifting, walking and standing throughout the shift;
- Bending and lifting boxes up to 50 lbs on a regular basis;
- Some local travel may be required.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Due to high volume applications, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.