Reporting to the Director, Risk, Performance, Resilience and Internal Audit, the Risk Management Lead will lead collaboration with business stakeholders, risk owners and cross functional teammates across Market Renewal Program (MRP) and within key business units and functions of the IESO to lead risk management activities. The Risk Management Lead will develop and present Executive and Board reporting. The Risk Management Lead will lead in the ongoing development and execution of MRP’s risk management program and governance. This role will be involved in the execution and management of a comprehensive Program risk framework, including support for identification, management, monitoring, and reporting of program-level risks.
Additionally, the role is intended to lead the alignment of program risk management activities with the IESO’s ERM framework, Project Management Processes and support for enterprise and business planning process.
What you'll do
- Provide leadership and support for risk identification, risk assessment, and risk monitoring to support success of the MRP program
- Coordinate key activities within the MRP risk framework including risk assessments, risk analysis and aggregation, monitoring and reporting,
- Identify, co-create and manage risk response plans and help guide the Program team through the Program life-cycle to successfully execute multiple, simultaneous work streams
- Proactively looks for interdependencies and cross linkages to interconnected risks amongst multiple work streams
- Liaise with business unit, functional and executive leadership and their core delegates to expand risk management capabilities, ensure appropriate governance structure and risk culture, and lead in risk management solutions and activities across the Program to help support business objectives
- Facilitate and lead establishment of Program specific risk targets to drive continuous improvement
- Provide oversight and effective challenge to ensure that enterprise risks are identified, assessed and managed
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders, including business unit leadership having risk management responsibility to enhance the level of risk management maturity and to promote an active risk management culture
- Maintain risk management processes, and policy and procedure documents
- Lead the development of policies, standards and guidelines to manage risks
- Produce regular comprehensive reporting, tailored to the audience, that accurately communicates the MRP program current and changing risk profile
- Develop products to further provide risk education, support skills and tools, and to promote consistent practices that minimize impact to business units and MRP work streams
- Manage the coordination and preparation of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) dashboard reporting for Management and Board reviews
- Ensures the successful and timely delivery of MRP’s risk program
- Provides relevant, timely, and accurate program reporting to Executive Leadership Team and other stakeholders
- Promotes common understanding of inherent program risks: technology, resources, change management, business processes and requirements management
- Coordinate implementation of risk governance and risk reporting standards including communication of those standards to Program-wide audiences alongside the Senior Manager, Enterprise Risk and Corporate Performance.
- Provide leading contributions towards the enhancement of MRP risk program maturity;
- To execute the above specialized advice and reports, accountable for supporting the:
- Regular, continuous assessment of the Program risks with both the work stream leads, Program office and the executive leadership team to support the identification of risks
- Preparation of reports through input from the executive leadership team to obtain the board’s approval to support decision making and resource allocation
- Development of all risk related reports including the corporate risk profile and quarterly mitigation plan updates
- Preparation of specialized in-depth risk reports on key Program initiatives identified by the board as areas of focus
- Lead the coordination and management of the work of external contractors executing risk management related services including managing budgets and timelines, executing quality control reviews of contractor deliverables and recommendations to board and executive leadership team
- Lead in the design and development of risk and control training initiatives for the Program unit staff to continue to advance the IESO’s risk culture
What you need to succeed
- Requires knowledge of business principles and processes to conduct strategic business assessments, conduct research, support the development of high value risk reports, and contribute to the provision of direction, guidelines and recommendations for achieving effective management systems and business processes.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the completion of four-year University education in the appropriate field or by having the equivalent level of education.
- Requires experience in management consulting, technical and analytical knowledge and understanding of the energy industry – specifically energy systems, markets and energy management.
- Requires experience in the development, coordination and management of projects along with strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues.
- Requires broad experience within the company and business unit environments to understand the overall business, its operations, processes, information systems and structure. Requires experience in identifying emerging business issues and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Requires excellent communications skills and ability to advise the leadership team on complex, cross-functional issues and decisions that impact the organization’s ability to effectively manage its risk exposure and a focus on operational efficiency and speed of execution for key priorities.
- Requires a good track record for creating a means for monitoring and communicating results that is meaningful to team members and inspires continuous improvement.
- Self-directed, courageous, and highly motivated with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build partnerships and generate consensus.
- A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.